Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

First Serious Snow Missive

Old 01-08-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Serious Snow Missive

I am completely impressed with the allroad in in deep snow... I've had my 03 for about 1 month and have driven it often on the snowpacked roads near my home in Park City. But the real test came late this afternoon when my wife failed to return on time from an 8 mile run during a classic Wasatch snowstorm (it's still dumping an inch an hour as I write this).

I left the kids in front of the tube and hopped in the AR to look for her down East Canyon Creek Road - a poorly maintained gravel road down a deep canyon north of Park City. I was nervous as I raised up to level 4 and cruised a couple of miles down the snowclogged road. There was at least 6 inches of fresh on top of a layer of mush covering a hard, slick base.

Even with conti contact touring tires (rated for snow and mud) the allroad was impressive. Of course, moments after I pulled over at the last turnaround point for the next several miles and began to walk down the road in near white-out conditions, I could hear my wife's cheery voice happy chatting with her running partner as they ran up the road 1/4 mile ahead -- yet it was snowing so hard I could not see them. (Yes, she's hard core - runs with traction devices on her shoes) They were surprised to see me so far down the canyon in the storm, and I was relieved to see them. Once they passed I waited a few minutes then blasted through the deep rutted snow tracks back to civilization. Insert BIG GRIN here.

The AR is simply amazing in the snow and hands-down beats the 4-runner I sold to buy it. No wonder I see so many of them around here. I can only imagine the enhanced performance "real" snow tires would bring. I'm new to the board and learning much from the tremendous base of knowledge here. Forgive my rambling post, just felt the need to share. Will post pics one of these days -- sometime after my knee surgery this tuesday.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "I feel you joy...."

We have an allroad, live in SLC and travel to PC often. The reliability, performance, and confidence we have in the AR is without question!

Glad you found your lady safe and happy!
Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Hint about Deep Snow

Try staying in Level 3 for most of your snow running. If you get stuck, it is then VERY easy to punch it up to Level 4 and back our or go through with a little more room.

This is just a little hint someone else posted and I've tried with great success.

Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the post, good luck with your knee surgery!