Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

First Time Audi Owner - Variety of Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Audi Owner - Variety of Issues

Hello everyone. First time owner of an Audi. Sold my Subaru and picked up a 2002 AllRoad (2.7t . Interior/Exterior is mint. Garage-kept shockingly clean. A little too clean as some moron went over the plastic with Armor All and there's various bits where the black paint has worn off of buttons and other things, but that is what it is.

While this is my first Audi, I have owned several VW's. Right now I'm replacing the 02J in my MKIV Jetta Wagon (295k miles).

I bought the car knowing it had issues. The original owner shrugged his shoulders and went "Audi's are Audi's" and put a piece of electrical tape over the notification lights. Those notification lights are not there just to annoy you or add a splash of color to your dashboard.

Issue 1: Airbag. 00589 Passenger Igniter 1 - Upper Limit Exceeded.
  • Attempted to fix by clearing the code. Came right back
  • I have not removed the glovebox to check the wiring, but the car is in such pristine condition I can't imagine a wire having broken or corroded or come apart.
  • Potential solution; replace dashboard airbag unit.

Issue 2: Coolant Temp Sensor.
  • Temperature on gauge cluster reads nil (needle to far left)
  • Temperature in VCDS is correct and stable
  • Questions

How many coolant temp sensors does the car have?

Assuming that it's likely 1 (possibly a standalone for the rad fan), is it a single wire lead that runs to the PCM and then the PCM feeds the info to the IC? Or is there a separate wire off the sensor to the IC?
  • Potential solution; investigate wiring issue at sensor. Likely repair or replace IC.

Issue 3: TCC. 17125 Torque Converter Clutch P0741 35-00 Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred

EYK 01V Transmission
  • Symptoms

TCC will read Open at highway speeds

Sometimes, it will Regulate and then read Closed. The car physically reacts accordingly (feeling the engagement/disengagement and noting tachometer changes)

When it is regulating and opening/closing, it feels flawless and normal. It does not slip when it is closed (0/min)

Very seldom, when closed, feels like the underside of the car gets kicked by a mule. The transmission downshifts to 4 and the TCC in VCDS reads NOT. Then everything goes back to normal as if nothing happened.

If the TCC is stuck open, a rolling restart of the car will restore normal TCC operation.
  • Thoughts

After browsing considerable resources and relying on some of my own experience, I am above suspecting the Torque Converter as faulty. TC's do not intermittently work flawlessly. They are either fine or are broken / slipping. They also do not fix themselves when the car is restarted.
  • Questions

Should I start with filter / fluids and see where it goes? Or should I go directly to replacing the valve body? My research indicates the TCC Solenoid is part of the Valve Body and cannot be replaced independently by a hack DIYer on his back porch (i.e. Me).
  • Potential solution; replace transmission filter, check internal components for noticeably worn bits, gunk and dirt. Refill with Redline. Otherwise, replace Valve Body with eBay Reman.

Issue 4: Cosmetic.
  • Right side hinge plastic cover for center console armrest.
  • Retainer clip for back window privacy screen
  • Headlight switch (poorly armorall'ed)
  • Center console cup holder (broken) - replace with something useful like USB hub for charging devices
  • Headlights. WipeNew did not work. Will try solution from ECS Tuning and if all else fails, dragon laminates.