Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Timing Belt Cam Locking Tool - Colorado Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Cam Locking Tool - Colorado Springs

The short story:
I'm looking for someone with a Cam Locking Bar in Colorado, specifically Colorado Springs, who would be willing to let me borrow it for next weekend. I'm willing to compensate. Or, if someone knows of a local business that rents these, I'd appreciate that info too.

The long story (in case you are bored at work):
The front end is off the AR right now because of an EFK install. However, when removing the radiator, I found out that when the fan decided to subdivide itself into a thousand little pieces, one of those pieces introduced itself to the radiator with some fury. Nothing unusual there, it happens. However, the fan didn't explode within the 7 days we've owned the car.

When I checked out the car the first time, I thought it was a little interesting that the sound damping under the hood was somewhat ripped up in the front, but the previous owner (owner #2 of 67K miles) answered the "is anything wrong with the car" question with "no, nothing's wrong." My bad for taking his word for it and not giving the car as thorough of a look over as I normally would have. So when I discovered that there were no fan blades on the fan clutch a few days ago, I gave 'em the benefit of the doubt and that maybe when the fan had just let go and he didn't hear it, or thought it was something in the road, or some innocent mistake. That was until I found that the hole in the back of the radiator had been patched and very poorly. Well, at least I now know why I can lightly smell G12 outside the car after driving it. Anyway, I've pretty much lost trust in the previous owner and his claims. Even though he said he did a DIY T-Belt 5K ago, which I sorta believe because the T-Belt does look new (i.e. no cracks, pretty clean, etc.), I think it's best not to chance it and do it myself. So, anyone have a timing belt cam locking tool I can borrow or a good lead on one? I'd appreciate it because the ECS one costs more than I'm willing to shell out for a tool I won't use again for another 5 years.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Blauparts rents them, they're in Wisconsin. www.blauparts.com. I own one, but it's currently on loan to someone in NJ.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Blauparts rents them, they're in Wisconsin. www.blauparts.com. I own one, but it's currently on loan to someone in NJ.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up just buying one. I probably won't use it again for the duration that I own this car, but you never know. Plus, if any other AR owners around Colorado Springs need one in the coming years, I'll be happy to loan it out... with a small beer fee and/or deposit. :-)