Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Geiger counter noise remedy....is there one single solution? Or multiple causes and solutions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geiger counter noise remedy....is there one single solution? Or multiple causes and solutions??

Before I head off to the mech, just wondering if I can narrow it down , before he rips the dash apart and says 'dunno mate' can't find it!?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM

?????
Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Noise that emitts from dash - described as sounding like a geiger counter
Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Possibly a bad turn signal stalk causing the turn signal/flasher relay to go nuts.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:16 PM

Yeah I thought flasher relay noise is more like a crazy ticking sound.This is random crackling...
Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know there are several relays under the dash that switch on/off when I start my car ????
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The random clicking is a bad turn signal stalk switch, the failed signals is the hazard relay. It's

incredible, isn't it, that VAG can build so many cars in which parts that never fail on any other brand routinely enough die such that even a guy with all left thumbs like myself can diagnose the problem. Turn signal relays or stalk switches (the part in the steering column)failing on a Honda, or even a Chevy, with this regularity? IMHO, but for the relatively small volume of cars and lack of complaint by owners, these should a NHTSA recalls given the frequency and the adverse safety effect of having impaired turn signals.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default About a month ago I was prepared to buy the turn signal stalk and

replace it myself.I had the same symptoms as you describe. I thought I'd try the electric contact cleaner route on the stalk. It worked immediately (after it dried)and so far the clicking has not returned.
I used CRC contact cleaner/lubricant and just sprayed into the column on the switch with the power off and worked the switch in all directions. Repeated once and let it dry.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I like this advice, and I have heard of this condition even "clearing itself" once before.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Turn signals and stalk working fine........

You will have to excuse my ignorance here, but you guys feel fairly certain that its a switch/relay issue ? Although the turning signal stalk operates fine/normal ? I've heard the clicking noise on other vehicles and yes it was a flasher relay issue, but this sounds different and strangely non electrical. I searched the archives here as suggested by flintA6 and discovered the geiger counter description which is spot on. But the remedy(something to do with clips not being covered in felt) did'nt convince me. Thanks for everyone input thou .

Quick Reply: Geiger counter noise remedy....is there one single solution? Or multiple causes and solutions??