Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Going for O.CT chip on my AR. Anyone running one? Thoughts?

Old 04-10-2003, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for O.CT chip on my AR. Anyone running one? Thoughts?

Have been running a MTM ECU on my 2000 S4 without a prob for 30k miles. Chose O.CT for my 2003 AR because Stratmosphere within driving distance and didn't want to risk losing my ECU in shipping.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't know much about them but...

...having them within driving distance is a big plus. Beside having it done immediately, it gives you a feel for what they're like.

Additionally their numbers look a little more relaxed which can be nice. Not as much power but piece of mind that you aren't taxing the system.

Let us know what you think if you get it. I would like to here how Stratmosphere is.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:55 PM

Default I'd only go with AMS (ABT) or OCT - check out these HP graphs

Anyone can reverse engineer anything but I think the Germans (ABT/AMS) or Austrians (OCT) are more privy to doing a better job than anyone. That's my opinion of course. Check out http://www.europeanspeed.com/shootout5.htm
The MTM and APR chips are a lot more choppy than AMS. The AMS chip looks the smoothest and resembles the stock curve the most. I think that says something about the consideration of more parameters with the AMS chip as opposed to the others.

We're talking OCT here and the graphs do not talk about OCT. But I think OCT has a strong reputation that's equal to or better than AMS/ABT.

And finally, I doubt OCT would understate the torque curve. If you're getting slightly less stress with the OCT than the other chips I'd go with it. Besides, max hp is not important anyway. What's important is the hp developed between 1800 and 5000 rpm which is where you'd be when you're accelerating. Who cares how much hp you develop at over 6000 rpm? You're gonna shift anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to keep my A6 2.7 or sell it and get an Allroad
Old 04-10-2003, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You won't be driving an ABT chip...

It's an AMS chip, that Mark gets the code from AOA, it is NOT ABT.. It is a SoCal modified stock code. Not sure what deal he has with ABT to use their stickers, but it's not ABT software.

And your reasoning would very much put MTM in your list.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Isn't MTM a German tuner?

And actually has close ties with Audi?

Also, are the US versions of these cars different in terms of ECU coding? And if so, would someone like Garrett or APR have more experience with it?

I'm not completely sure, just wondering.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Very smooth and very fast --- stage 4 now!

What I really like is that O.CT pays attention to things like smoothness and reliability. I have spoken with Markus Oberscheider, and IMO he is a very conservative individual with fanatical attention to detail. He believes in low exhaust temps, and low boost with good timing to make horsepower -- great for reliability and efficiency!
Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice! see post down one indent (fat fingers tonight!)
Old 04-10-2003, 10:07 PM

Sales guy at AMS told me it's an ABT chip modified for US spec engines
Old 04-11-2003, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all. I'm going up on April 18th. Will post an update w/Vag logs pre/post.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mil27 - Has APR gotten closer to fixing that timing problem discussed earlier?

I checked in with my local APR distributor. They seem competent and I'm leaning toward APR at this point due to, as you put it, technology leadership and local support.

I'm going to schedule an in and out appointment to get my ECU modified, but I thought I might hold out until that timing problem is fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going for O.CT chip on my AR. Anyone running one? Thoughts?