Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Good Deal on v-rated winter tire that can be run year-round.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal on v-rated winter tire that can be run year-round.

For those allroaders wanting to switch to a winter-rated tire, but do not want the expense of twice a year mounting and balancing, there is a less costly alternative to the Nokian WRs. I just ordered a set of the new Yokohama W.Drive tires. They meet the industry standard (mountain snowflake) for severe winter traction but are also v speed rated and have been developed to be run year round. Got them online in 225/55R17 allroad stock size for only $123 per tire--with no tax and free shipping! Tirerack does not carry them, but they are available from DiscountTireDirect. I actually found them at the best price on the new eBid site where DiscountTireDirect also has a store. These will be replacing Goodyear TripleTreds which have worked well, but now have 30k miles on them.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Let us know how these work out
Old 11-12-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will do. Should arrive by Monday. Then I will have Rex Tire mount and balance them.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interested to hear. The last Yokohamas I got that were Discount-specific were garbage.

They were all-seasons with a high-mileage warranty, but in reality they were no-seasons -- they had terrible traction in every condition. I eventually returned them.

Hopefully they do better with this model.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default These are not Discount specific.

In fact, Mercedes AMG runs them in Europe as factory option winter tires on high performance cars.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yokohama yk520?

bought them over the summer as an impulse buy and I know they arent going to meet my demands this winter. After reading the reviews I saw they arent meant for much more than a light dusting of snow.

DiscountTireDirect.com seems to have a pretty good deal on the Hankook iPike w409. Atleast I know that isnt a house brand tire, and they have a tread pattern similar to Nokian Hakka's, which is good, imo.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, The tire I bought is "W.Drive" which is a new high-tech winter tire.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes, the YK520. I was so dissatisfied I returned them to Discount for a refund.

Bought real winter tires and real summer tires instead. I bought the YK520s in a moment of weakness - wallet fatigue from buying too many tires. I regretted it when I found they wouldn't stick to the road in dry, wet, OR snow. What's the point of having a tire that lasts 50k miles if it sucks for all of those miles?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hmm.. for my zip-code that size is listed for $146 each.

Still cheaper than the WR G2 though.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default There are three different ways to buy from Discount Tire.

The local shops do indeed ask about $146 per tire plus taxes. But if you go to www.discounttiredirect.com the internet price is presently $129 with no taxes or shipping charges. I found a third place to buy from them that is only $123 with no taxes or shipping charges: eBid store, link below. Hope this helps.<ul><li><a href="http://us.ten.ebid.net/stores/Discount-Tire-Direct">http://us.ten.ebid.net/stores/Discount-Tire-Direct</a</li></ul>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good Deal on v-rated winter tire that can be run year-round.