Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Hardwired IPOD (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwired IPOD (Long)

After observing my son use his MP3 player over the past several months, I wondered why I would limit my auto tunes to 6 cd's in the changer and 1 in the head unit when I could literally have hundreds acessible at any time. So, a few weeks ago I picked up an IPOD and ordered ICE Link interfaces for my 01 allroad (and other car -- an M3). I considered going with Phatnoise, but cost (for 2 cars) and portability considerations were the deciding factors. The ICE Links were back ordered, and I did not receive them until this week. Yesterday, I installed the ICE Link in my allroad (in the dash, behind the Symphony 1 head unit -- no cable running from the rear CD changer location).

This is Hot Stuff. The IPOD plays through the car's stereo system; sound quality is CD comparable, and noticeably better than when played through the radio via an FM transmitter; the head unit and steering wheel buttons all control volume, and change tracks (up and down); and, the radio now displays station infomation that it never did before (name of station and genre, in addition to frequency). In addition, the IPOD charges when connected; pauses when I switch to the radio or single CD sources; and turns off when the car is shut down. (It does not, however,display information on the head unit about what is playing on the IPOD).

I keep the IPOD in the glovebox, out of sight; and ran the connecting wires directly into the glove box so I don't have to connect and disconnect the IPOD every time I get in and out of the car. The connecting wres are long enough to easily take the IPOD out of the glove box for making selections; and, I enclosed them in a thin black, flexible "conduit", so there are no wire tangle issues.

All in all, highly recommended.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Default I just ordered the Blitzsafe adapter since ICE Link was backordered for Audi...

I hope it works out as well as yours. My intention is to also get the XM Commander and run both through Blitzsafe, which I picked up from a post a few weeks ago. Bargamon? I think it was your set up I'm trying to duplicate.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Can you post some Pictures?

Curious to see this as I just got my 40GB iPod, and hope to get my 2004 ar soon
Old 04-03-2004, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is the line out to your head unit coming from the bottom of the iPOD or the top (head phone jack)???

The sound quality is much better below through the non-amplified line out.
But does sound sweet.
I have none this to the Eurovan and was waiting on the Allroad.