Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Has anyone had an issue with a "raxle" install?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had an issue with a "raxle" install?

After 6 weeks of drama, and troubleshooting, my indy thinks my vibrations and sounds are coming from the new raxle?

Has anyone had an issue with one of these right out of the gate?

I replaced the following on the driver's side: Pinch Bolts, Tie Rod End, Rotor, Pads, raxle, bearing...

Before this whole issue, I just had a bad cv boot, leading to grease loaded wheels and a slight vibration because of it... now I have loud vibrations, metal sounds, and shimmy shakes.

I have posted other threads regarding this, sorry for the duplicates, but I'm just trying to fix it and be done with it.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything is possible. I'm sure Raxle will stand y their work and send another.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Did you ever run it on a lift? Plug in the stethoscope and listen closely if it's not obvious,

otherwise you'll keep chasing this jinx for ever. If you can get your hands on a lift the play the elimination game, run it with wheels, w/o wheels etc....test the living daylights out of the car.

Once on the lift or jack, tilt the wheels top to bottom (not left to right); any movement is an indicator of faulty wheel bearings.
Also try to spin the axles by hand, see if there is a clicking noise, usually the bad axle makes the most noise and has the biggest play within. Don't mistake axle clicking with transmission sounds, it's easy to do since the tranny will make a similar noise, that's why the stethoscope.

Losen the inner CV and start checking the axle flanges see if there is any play. This will also allow to check the inner CV's while they are off.

Best of luck finding this sucker...!!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'd say something is not right with the brakes.

Something is not sitting flush or isn't tightened properly.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any pulsating in the steering wheel or brake pedal?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The only raxle issues I know of is the abs ring... but on other cars, I had issues....

with reman. axles going bad within the first month.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Please read:

In response to those comments above, the bearing was replaced (no change), the car was run on the lift twice, (no help), the sounds/vibration goes flat when unweighted (turns and lift)...

Raxles talked to the audi techs they know and they seem to think that it might be the abs sensor/traction control kicking in on the fritz and causing the brakes to randomly react. That would explain some of the issues (not feeling anything on the lift or unweighted turns)... and could explain the vibrations and the noises throughout... and explain the randomness of it all.

The indy seems to think it is the axle, so I told him to take the original axle, throw the cv boot on it that I purchased originally, and try it... if that doesn't solve the problem, then we know it isn't the axle.

To make a long story short, this has been 6 weeks, and today I bought a new vehicle, so this won't happen again to me...

So consider this the first notice that the car is for sale. It is a sad day indead.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, whats your asking price?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'd love to break even.

By no means is this car a problem car, I am just located nowhere near an audi tech, nowhere near a delaer, and I have no warranty... I gambled with this, and the car wins.

Hopefully, someone will buy it that can give it a good home close to a support system... down here I might see 1 Audi a week...and 1 allroad a season... that is just crazy.

It is an 02, 2.7T Tip. Alpaka, tan leather, regular stereo, no heated seats, no nav, no frills. 67K.

Only mod, stock single spokes painted to match the body. Tires are 75%, have about 6K on them.

Condition is very good. I keep it clean, non-smoker, only driven hard at the occassional stoplight, but basically it is a virgin.

I live in Coastal NC, and once this mess is sorted out, it will have:

Brand new front brakes, new axle, new tie rod end, new bearing, fresh alignment.

I've had it a year, and only had two issues, this drama and a triple light back last year that was fixed with a trip to the dealer to replace the steering angle sensor.

So the asking price is $16500.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ABS issues...yet to nail down exact culprit.