AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   HELP: front end collision damage on my 2002 allroad - need advise (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/help-front-end-collision-damage-my-2002-allroad-need-advise-2840713/)

bikaa-m. 01-15-2013 09:20 AM

HELP: front end collision damage on my 2002 allroad - need advise

1 Attachment(s)
hello & good morning,
I was involved in accident yesterday: I rear ended pick up truck (without working brake lights) at a 'relatively' low speed (approx. 20-25mph) in stop&go freeway traffic; since the pickup truck's bumper (a 2003 ford ranger) is located well above my allroad's front bumper, my car experienced quite some intrusion into it's front end, while my bumper was simple 'pushed down' a bit. note: NO airbags went off—because of the bumper-mismatch or the low speed? I can't tell.
interesting too is, that my AR lifted itself to suspension level 3 after the accident—is that a normal modus of the suspension system after an accident?

aside from first finding a good body shop with hopefully audi +/or allroad repair experience here in San Diego, i wanted to ask you all for some pointers on what to pay attention to with front end repair on an allroad. are there any important details to remember when the front end undergoes collision repair?

for example, I thought of getting the improved version snub mount and supply it to the body-shop, since the front end clip is coming off and it would be a good opportunity the make the 'change'...

i would highly appreciate any ideas, hints, and insights helping with getting my good old wagon back to its prior perfect condition. thank you

m.seidl

JustMtnB44 01-15-2013 10:38 AM

How many miles on the car? I think there is a good chance the car will end up getting totaled. If not, finding a good shop is key, and as you said supply them with any parts you wish to upgrade while they are in there.

Sgt G 01-15-2013 10:57 AM

Insurance Co probably will total car IF your proceeding that route; appears damage (6 - 8 grand for example) equals or exceeds value of vehicle (6 - 8 grand for example). However, if sourcing and doing the work on your own dime / time repairs perhaps cost 1/2 that since you can get things like hood, fender, etc for cheap (may need painting to match before install of course). Looks like most of the damage is from radiator forward, which if the case will make repairs a lot easier/cheaper since I'm sure you can source that entire section from bone yard and swap entire frontal clip, add hood, fender, headlight, etc and your good.

ddillenger 01-15-2013 12:06 PM

You don't have to worry about any of that. There is virtually NO chance of them not totalling that car (assuming you have comp).

bikaa-m. 01-15-2013 12:53 PM

DÄNG! i do have full coverage on my car. is the hood, the LH fender, the bumper, radiator, condenser, 1x HID light assembly, etc SO expensive to replace? remember, NON of the airbags went off!!!!

i don't really wanna go out and find another NON-existing wagon in the american Automotive-Nirvana.
SHAME on audiUSA for only offering ONE single wagon with ONE single engine option currently!!! where are all those avants and fitting engine options - hiPowered diesel engines anybody, or the RS4 avant, or S6 avant, etc

bikaa-m. 01-15-2013 12:54 PM

Sgt G 01-15-2013 01:54 PM

Let ins co total the car, which they will anyway due to age/value. If possible, buy car back from them with proceeds (say $2,000) and use the rest of the cash to source and rebuild car on your own (which is possible if you know what's required and can do it without exceeding vehicle value).

Used hood ($250 +/-), used fender ($100 +/-), used bumper ($250-$350), HID Headlight ($350 +/-), etc though a full list of even used parts can/will add $$ up quickly and there's sure to be lots of small parts/pieces you'll need that you won't know bout til you tear it apart.

It's that or use the payout cash to source an new (used) allroad in the $6,000 - $9,000 range.

Sorry for the not so great news.

ddillenger 01-15-2013 02:43 PM

You can buy a6 avants with 2.8's, 2.7t's, 4.2's, and lets not forget the s6. You can likely talk the adjuster into quoting for used parts to bring the price of the repair down to prevent it from being a total loss.

JustMtnB44 01-16-2013 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ddillenger (Post 24395657)
You can buy a6 avants with 2.8's, 2.7t's, 4.2's, and lets not forget the s6.

You mean you can get a C5 A6 Avant with 2.8 or 3.0, allroad with 2.7T or 4.2, and S6 with 4.2. But I think bikaa-m is referring to the fact that the only Audi wagon available as a new car is the new A4 based allroad, which only has the 2.0T engine option.

09mehashaw 01-16-2013 10:34 AM

Ouch.... It's probably going to get totaled.
I'd work on getting some bread out of the guy who didn't have working tail lights.