Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

HELP: front end collision damage on my 2002 allroad - need advise

Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JustMtnB44 precisely!!!! audiUSA is neglecting it's Avant offerings for the US market terribly. I love my C5 allroad, but for some time now I would've loved to replace 'her' with a newer model from audi. but sadly, unlike in my home country austria, a proper selection of wagons in the USA is near non existing (as well as engine choices).
I believe audiUSA's biggest omission was NOT to offer the finally US-released A4 allroad with their incredible mid range 3.0 liter [245hp] TDI engine, and instead, AGAIN only offers the allroad with their good ol' 2.0 liter FSI petrol motor (which, I believe is fine, yet underpowered for the A4 allroad)! the 3.0 liter diesel would've given the new AR phantasique power + torque, and also incredible fuel economy.

if my insurance company decides to total my car — which I truly hope they won't — my choices on new wagons in general, and audi's especially, are slim, slim, slim. and if one is interested in anything with a bit more performance in wagon form, the only 2 'sport-wagons' i can think of are the MB AMG E class estate and cadillac's V-offering [both of which i don't want]. c'mon, audi bring 'em...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hit a deer going 60 on the freeway here in SLC. The damage was MUCH less. Dented the passenger fender, smashed the headlight, a few dents in the hood, a tweaked bumper, and they later found a cracked radiator support, bent condenser, and a few misc things. The total was over $8,000. The headlight alone was over $900. Sorry to say, your beloved all road will be totaled. I believe they are being sold for a little over $9,000 these days.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

09mehashaw, working on it! i know, i am the one who hit him from behind, making it at least partially my fault. yet, if the financial responsibility can be distributed between the parties, my insurance rates may not increase as much...!?!!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

jhart2.7t, don't say!

i only hope that my insurance company let's me remove all those sweet bolt-on bits and replace them with the old OEM parts, if it really comes to that:
HYPERBOOST hx DVs, ABD 'Q-Flow' cold air+'BigBore' intake [ceramic coated pipes], AMS kevlar reinforced throttle body boot, HOTCHKIS swaybars [front+back], PERRIN endlinks [front], etc.

lost probably is my GIAC tune [will still have the handheld switcher, though]. PLUS, i just installed 2x front ARNOTT airbag units in june 2012 [less than 4000miles driven]...

Last edited by bikaa-m.; 01-18-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know if this helps or not ...But we have just had a "go around" with our insurance company about replacement parts for our car (BMW X5) we collided with a Deer
The insurance company will put on second hand parts onto your car when ever possible, even on cars as new as 18 months old, they wasn't amused when I offered to pay next months installment with a second hand cheque, I live in Canada but the Insurance said that this has been a practice in the USA longer than Canada
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE: got call from insurance company sanctioned/preferred body shop with update on damage on my AR; after taking the front end apart for analysis, their total for the repair is ~$8000.00! this amount can be lowered he confirms, after I suggest to utilize used parts for the hood, LH fender + bumper. i want to keep that final dollar amount as low as possible, to dissuade my ins.co. from likely totaling my wägon [as many of you suggested they would do!]
I don't mind the use of previously used body parts on my old audi, as long as it is limited to such, and they get new parts when it comes to engine components + 'functional' parts, like the condenser, radiator, electric fans, etc.
will get final 'Mitchell'-generated itemized estimate by eMail shortly. any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

daof4 thanks for your thoughts. but my allroad, even though it may look flawless, really is an 11 year old car. if the use of a 'used' hood, fender, etc... prevents my car from being totaled, I am all for their use! (see my UPDATE post above)
in my case the junking or parting-out of an otherwise perfectly functioning audi AR can be avoided, and i will be able to drive this fabulous + powerful car—WE here all love+appreciate—for possibly many more year. all that because instead of installing a brand new OEM aluminum hood, one from a parted out AR was used!!! sounds like a win-win in my book ;-)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gonna need more than a few used parts to cut that repair bill in 1/2 in order to avoid vehicle being totaled by Ins Co.

If allroad worth like $8,000 I'm guessing you'll need repair cost in the $5,000 range or less to achieve the outcome your looking for. While I don't have price list for new vs used parts I'm certain the repairs can be done for less than $5,000 using many used parts (though don't neglect to account for labor, because it adds up quickly too). Which reminds me of my initial post / reply regarding your situation where I described doing most of the work yourself if possible, but only using body shop to paint match parts if needed once everything's been removed / replaced. If able, that's the direction I'd go; collect my check from ins company for estimated repair cost ($5,000) then vs using shop, I'd DIY with used parts and my own time / labor and use the savings to reward myself . .

Good Luck
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I hope picture works!

This was the damage my my car that totaled over $8,000. Mine was repaired at an Audi Certified body shop. NO used parts were used in the repair process. Using them will bring the cost down considerably.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, don't forget that there will be more damage once the body shop starts tearing the car down. The "estimate" from the insurance company is from the damage they can see. From what I understand, the car can't be dismantled in any way, until the ins. co. has approved for repairs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP: front end collision damage on my 2002 allroad - need advise