Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Help with identifying something...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with identifying something...

Hi all, I know that it would be much easier if I were to post a pic of the item in question, but I don't have my digicam at the ready at the moment.

I'm the new (and extremely happy) owner of a 2002 allroad quattro. My car seems to have come with a mystery part. It was in the cargo area when I took delivery and at first I assumed that it was the ski sack (though I thought that that was a purchaseable option, not standard), but after opening it up I'm about 99% sure that it is not the ski sack.

For one thing, it's not a sack. It came rolled up in a nylon flap and unrolling it revealed what appears to be cargo netting. I know that it's not the cargo partition because that's already installed.

So, my question is, does anyone know what this is? My guess is that it is the Audi universal fit cargo net, but does the allroad come with one (I know for a fact that I did not purchase it)? If so, does anyone have any instructions for installing the thing? I'm sure that it's probably pretty easy, but the thing has a bunch of long straps and, with only a bit of German printed on the nylon flap, installation doesn't seem very self-explanatory.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-05-2001, 11:33 PM
dwh
AudiWorld Member

Default Mystery Part Revealed...

OK I think the part you are describing is the net in the nylon sack behind the rear seats on the cargo area floor.

It is used to hold items in place in the cargo area when driving. To use it you should clip the hooks of the cargo net into the four chromed slots on the foor corners of the cargo area with the net over the items you wish to secure.

Hope that helps...
Old 12-05-2001, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yup
Old 12-06-2001, 12:39 AM

Default Re: yup

Okay, I think you're right. Do you know why it has such long straps on it? I'm guessing that it's to accomodate items of varying sizes, but the straps seem to be long enough to accomodate things that wouldn't fit in the back anyway?

Oh well, I'll give it a go installing it tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

You'll need every bit of those straps when you put several tall items under the net...
Old 12-06-2001, 08:39 AM

Default Long straps also give you some leverage to pull the net tight.

And you are right, installation is a bit confusing and doesn't match the example found in the owner's manual (at least for 2001 models it didn't).
Old 12-06-2001, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Long straps also give you some leverage to pull the net tight.

That's weird, my 2002 owner's manual makes no mention of the cargo net. It explains how to install the ski sack, but nothing about the net and I triple checked the manual last night.