Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

help on my move to Canada, sort of OT...advise needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on my move to Canada, sort of OT...advise needed...

So, my 2005 allroad is financed through Audi at 2.9%, with another 3 years owing. They will not give me permission to move "the car" to Canada. And I'd have to pay taxes on it, again, if I had a dealer buy it from me and resell it back to me (they are running 3.9% on used allroads in Canada now). My question is how strongly do the local RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and others look out for American plates (if anyone knows)? And just pull them over for the heck of it to find out if they moved here? And how easy, or hard, will it be to get my car repaired here? My carrier, Chubb, does have an office in Vancouver. Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Right now my car sits in my garage in Colorado until I figure this all out...Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO....

I'd keep the US address until you pay off the note.

This will save you big bucks all around including making the ar Canada legal, if needed.

Anytime I drove in Canada (Ontario) I was never pulled over for anything. Even with the U-haul.

Keep a US address..mom, sister, cousin, work, etc.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: help on my move to Canada, sort of OT...advise needed...

3 years is a long time to expect not to get caught, and if you do, they will force you to get Canadian registration which will create a big headache (and fine) for you. To answer your question though, no they don't do spot checks on American cars, but when you enter our border, they record your information, so when they don't see you cross again, a flag is going to go up.

Is it possible for you to get a line of credit, so you could pay off the lien?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:48 AM

Default some advice from ex-pat in vancouver

Seems like you are in a tight spot.

If you keep US reg, then you would also have to keep US auto insurance and tell them your allroad is housed at your US address. That might get a bit sticky if you have a claim. BTW auto theft in BC is unfortunately quite common. South of Vancouver in Surrey, the rate of auto theft/population is supposedly the highest in the english speaking world....welcome to canada.

You won't be able to get Chubb to give you auto insurance in BC because by BC law you must have be insurance via ICBC (a "crown" corporation). And you can't get ICBC insurance on a US reg car.

And border crossings might be of concern if you are driving a US reg'd car, but tell the Canadian border folk that you live in Vancouver.

I'd try to pay off your note with maybe line of credit or ? if you want your allroad up here.

If you want to chat about this or any other issues with Canada, drop me an email.

PS Auto insurance in BC is really expensive. I pay $1800/year on my 02 allroad and I've never had an accident or speeding tix in 20+ years. That is about double what I was paying for in the US with USAA
Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: help on my move to Canada, sort of OT...advise needed...

I'm in Ontario Canada. My gf in university drove her car up here for 3+ years with Maryland plates, no problems ever. I don't think they can MAKE you register your car in BC, if you have your home address. Although you will still have to do registration, emissions testing, etc in Colorado...

Federalizing your car to Canada is easy, VAG your cluster to KMs and run a couple relays in the dash for daytime running lights. I imported my AR from the US. Let me know if you need the info.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 AM

Default I drove my s4 for three yrs...

...with a work visa canada on u.s. plates and insurance. had to keep an address and insurance in the states (ins. in b.c. is provencial - so you get your plates and ins. together. there are no competing ins companies). only problem is crossing the border. if you have a work visa you can just say you're working temporarily and don't need to import (worked for me). however once you are a landed resident the party is over. if you get pulled over and talk to RCMP you just show your u.s. address and ins. and you are 'just visiting'. another bonus... if you get a ticket you don't get points on your u.s. licence(!) and you don't get points on your b.c. licence either (as you don't have one yet). but you do still have to pay the ticket. make sure you keep your story straight tho. if you don't have a work visa, then this may not work.. you can only be a 'visitor' crossing the border so many times before they start getting suspect. another bonus... crossing the border with a work visa allows you to bring 'personal stuff' with you both directions (no tax) again, that only works until you are landed permanent resident at which time you have to declare everything and import your car too.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks all so much for the info...think I have a plan(?)...

I do have a work permit, and so can say its temporary, and will just do that. I'm keeping my condo in the Vail area and forwarding my mail to BC for now, so that's where my car will still "live." And Chubb does have an office in Vancouver, so hopefully they can help out, if not, I'll head down to Seattle. I won't cross the border too much, we'll see. The other issue is that I have a motorcycle that I do really need to insure in Canada, and that I have title for. Problem is, if I do that, then I HAVE to get a BC license. Again, gotta keep the stories straight...lucky I'm a lawyer. Thanks again!! Hope to drive it up there in the next few weeks...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Default hmmm...

don't think it's going to work out with the bike etc.
if you are importing the bike and getting b.c. insurance and license, you are already crossing the bridge. i think you'll find it's an all or nothing program with customs/immagration. i might be wrong, but i think they will want you to import etc.,best of luck navigating all the red tape! wasn't bad with the UrS4 - just had to rig up daylight driving lights and child safety seat restraints for that car (93)
..in maui at the moment - but live north of whistler. will have to cross paths once you are landed.
cheers,
tom
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Guess that's true, when I cross the border, they "may" see that I have a BC license...

then somehow see I have a BC motorcycle. I could just say that's the only thing I have there "permanently"? Its good to think of all the possibilities. I could perhaps keep my USA moto insurance but for some reason that makes me more nervous (hazards of moto riding). My auto carrier Chubb at least has an office in Canada. My bike carrier Progressive does not. They would gave me canadian insurance cards, but said I would need to get insurance there. Perhaps I can keep the bike "in" the US as well? Again, thanks for the thoughts and yes we'll have to hook up at some point.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

in retrospect, had I known, should have towed the bike...they still would've asked some tough ?s

Quick Reply: help on my move to Canada, sort of OT...advise needed...