Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

i love the though of the AR but...

Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i love the though of the AR but...

would definitely by one used and the though of the airbags going out worries me. is there an after-market coil spring setup available, will the coil overs from another VAG car retrofit?

are there any problematic issues specific to the AR?, like turbo failure with the B5 2.7t

only other ? is why is the AR better than an A4/A6 avant?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

*thought*
Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wish I could weld.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default your should search the archives..ther are a couple who have "coilroads"

its a major expense. Turbo failure does happen, but not too often.

The ar is different than the other audi cars..geared differently, thicker gauge steel body panels, a 6 speed 2.7t is available, etc.

www.allroadfaq.com
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Default it ain't perfect, but it is unique

As background, I used to have a 2001 B5 S4 wagon. In 2004, I sold that with 4x,xxx miles on it and bought a 2001 allroad with 4x,xxx miles on it.

Wagon comparo: the allroad beats the A4 because the back seat is comfortable for adults and a bike fits inside easily with both wheels on. It beats the A6 wagon because you can get a stick shift and a turbo motor.

Problem areas: It's a complex piece of hardware and repairs can be expensive. I don't think it's wildly unreliable, however my extended warranty has paid for itself.

There are several folks who have adapted A6 coilovers or stock coil spring set-ups to the car. The allroad uses 26.8" diameter tires, while the A6 uses 24.8" diameter. This means spacers are required at the upper mounting points. Conversion cost seems to be $2-4K. I'll eventually go down that road. The air suspension is mostly useless to me, and it doesn't handle high-speed undulations so well.

All that being said, I really like the car and think I'll keep mine for a looooong time. A luxury wagon with AWD, turbos, and a stickshift is a rare beast. I can drive the car for hours and not be tired or sore. It's about the perfect ski car, and it holds all my windsurfing gear. And it's a playground for those of us with mod fever.

HTH-
-df
Old 05-14-2007, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There is no other for me.

I too, am smitten by the stick shift, awd turbo wagon. I bought it for the 6-speed. It's cool because it is heavier duty (gussets, heavier body panels) than an avant, it's a good size for everything I need to tote, It has dainty bumpers because it's a 'truck.' It goes like stink. Now that I've had it a while I like the up down suspension that prevents high centering in those awful road / no road situations. For the complexity its quite reliable. Mine has been stout. I'd buy another if they made it with a stick. Quicker if it was TDI.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Drive one and you'll be hooked...it's like a cult, once you're in it's hard to get out
Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default speaking of perfect ski car

When I was reading reviews on msn of the ar before I bought mine one person's item in the negative column was: difficult to drive with ski boots on. :-)
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what would it cost to replace the airbags on all 4 corners?

and i am assuming that is a price with labor.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default is any car easy to drive with ski boots on?

i dont even like driving with my nordic boots on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i love the though of the AR but...