Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

If Not Zumbach, Who? (NYC/Suffolk dealers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If Not Zumbach, Who? (NYC/Suffolk dealers)

I went down to the Zumbach Audi showroom at Twelfth Avenue and 55th Street this afternoon and was totally ignored by the several sales persons one of whom was busily using his telephone to discuss musical comedy. (Yes, Judy Garland -- I could not make this up.) Naturally, I was not impressed.

In the past, I have done business with Donaldsons in Sayville and have been very pleased but VW has required them to drop Audi (and Subaru) in order to focus exclusively on VWs. I am, of course, interested getting a good price but I am really more concerned with a quality service department.

So now I am seeking suggestions for an Audi dealership either near New York City -- I am in the Upper West Side of Manhattan -- or near Bay Shore in Suffolk County (where I have a summer home.)

In fairness, I would also like to hear from those who have dealt with Zumbach -- especially if their experiences have been better than mine.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:57 PM

Default Legend Porsche/Audi/VW

I'm now on my 4th Audi, and have refused to deal with Zumbach ever since the first one. I bought my '96 A6 from Legend, in Amityville, then later moved to Manhattan. The Zumbach service "team" basically treated me like a schmuck every time I brought it to them. I had several minor, but annoying problems with that car and unfortunately was there more that I wanted to be. They just didn't have time for someone who hadn't bought the car from them. I also had terrible experiences on the sales floor at Zumbach, which basically left me decided that I would never, for any reason, deal with them again.

Previous to that, I had a VW Corrado VR6 bought in NJ, but since Legend was convenient, I brought it there for service. Those guys were friendly and helpful, and the service manager at one time made several calls to VW of America to get them to pay for part of a repair that they probably didn't have to.

I've since got my A4 from Audi of Huntington, and most recently the AR from Biener, in Manhasset. Service in Huntington SUCKS!! Haven't been to Biener for AR service yet, but we'll see soon.

Lastly, I was brought back to Legend just recently to get my new A6. They made me the best lease deal, by far, and when I went yesterday to look over the car before delivery, walked through the service area and saw a few familiar faces, so I anticipate continued satisfaction with them.

If you want to stay in Manhattan, check out Audi of Manhattan, on Park Ave in the 50's. I have no personal experience with them, but always worth a try. I wonder, though, whether they may share service arrangements with Zumbach
Old 12-05-2001, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Legend Porsche/Audi/VW

I visited the Park Ave. Audi showroom and asked about their service. I was told that it was done on the far West Side which I assumed meant Zumbach. Since I could not think of their name, I did not confirm that conclusion.

I have not been into Legend but I have passed it. It looks rather old and small. The size of the sales floor does not bother me but I am concerned about the service department. There are a lot of Audis on the South Shore and I am worried that it will not be easy to get an appointment easily.

And thank you for confirming my impressions about Zumbach. Too bad ... they would have been very convenient.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:45 AM

Default Great sales/service experience from Audi of Smithtown

After receiving poor sales support at most of
my local dealerships here on Long Island, I
contacted Walter Ryder at Audi of Smithtown
and was treated like a gentleman and given a
great deal on my ar in September. His follow-up
service has been terrific too. I would not buy
another Audi anywhere else. Give him a try.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:10 AM

Default Wouldn't worry

It's true, the place is old. It's been there at least 25 years without undergoing major renovation or expansion. While the front service area where you interact with the advisors is certainly old, small and cramped, the service bay is as large as that of Huntington Audi (which shares space with a very large volume Ford dealer). And, while it's been a few years since I dealt with them on any regular basis, I never had a problem before.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi Park Avenue = Zumbach