Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Just picked up some S8 rotors.... brake brainstormers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just picked up some S8 rotors.... brake brainstormers?

Hey folks,

In perhaps a foolish pursuit, I've acquired some old 2001 S8 rotors (gently used), which measure out to a massive 345mm (for comparison, from what I've found, stoptech bases their design around 332mm, and we are 320mm stock).

Anyway, I am going to try to use these as the foundation for a homebrew BBK, to address the deficiencies in the stock braking system. I chafe at the idea of spending $2000 on a new custom setup that consists essentially of new lines (should be $10 a foot plus fittings), calipers ($300-350 each), a bracket ($50 for the pair), and then apparently, $500 rotors. But I digress... back to the brainstorm.

I'm thinking I'll blueprint out the stock system, figure out the offsets and distances, and then either manually fabricate some adapter brackets for the calipers out of medium carbon steel or tough-ish stainless, or CAD them out and send them off.

I see that Paulroad posts over in brakes from time to time... have any other ar's undertaken anything of this nature? If so, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am not totally tied to these rotors as my base - it's just that they are huge and they were cheap.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Old 10-15-2006, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just realized....

the s8 has a much larger offset in the hat than the ar hat. If it were possible to incorporate a spacer into the design between hat and wheel mounting surface (hub), I could possibly get away with using... wait for it... wait for it.... non ar-offset rims (and consequently, typical 18" Audi rims!).

I wonder if such a design would require extra fastening of spacer to hub...

Back to the task of the day - designing and fabricating custom crossmember for additional support of my friend's new transfer case. Ugh - BTDT x eleventy.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the thickness of S8 rotor fit the stock caliper?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Won't be using stock caliper at all - gain would be minimal. First impressions:

This rotor shows a good .5" or more of additional offset, vs. stock ar disks. Overall, the disk offers alot of swept area, but that hat offset may prove too problematic. Even if this doesn't work for the Audi, I can definitely use it elsewhere (I actually have another app where it would be fantastic - the hat's ID turned out to be perfect for this fallback application), so I'm not exactly burned if I don't use this on the ar.

Honestly, the big offset wouldn't be that bad to deal with as long as it doesn't throw the rotor into the knuckle or control arms, since it would give me a little more space to work an adaptor bracket.

So, that said, the stock calipers wouldn't even come into play. I'd be, off the bat, looking at SL6 Wilwoods or 6 piston equivalent.

I tear into my pass side later this week to swap out my CV boot, and I'll take a long hard look at whether I'll be using these in this app, or redrilling to the 8 on 6" pattern for the other app.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would be interested in your results as I'm in the market for bbk's...

I to thought of homebrewing but there's not too much info on what can be done with what. It's all trial and error.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Will do. Everything in the aftermarket is based off of custom rotors...

which is fantastic if you're interested in easy fitup and low unsprung weight. Me, I could care less.

That said, I'm going to rock out my stock brakes for the winter time, and I'll shelve these brakes for the springtime, when I can start shopping for 18's or better.