Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

k&n filter kit on 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&n filter kit on 2.7T

I want to install a filter kit (replace box NOT just filter) on my allroad 2004 2.7t, anyone know if there is a direct fit kit for those cars, should be the same for the 2.7t A6, where can i find it, I tried on K&N web site and I couldn't find a kit for this car
Any ideas or pictures of anyone did this installation would be appreciated
thank you
Old 04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run a k&n drop in filter, but its not recommended, something about the filter oil gumming up the maf.
there really isn't a need to change out the whole box, it is essentially a ram air setup already.
here is something that is recommended http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...etrain&IL=Sflo

installs inside the airbox for that 'sleeper' look
i can take a pic or two of it in my ar if you like
Old 04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Papertoast Gave you the right advice. The Oil used to charge the K&N is sticky and it will be inhaled by your intake, and eventually coat The Mass Airflow sensors and cause you lots of grief.

You're not going to notice any improvement with the K&N either in my opinion (experience from other cars) THe best thing to do is work on the exhaust end... Get the heat and back pressure out.

Bigger gains.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

A few things no one has touched on in this thread:

Firstly, you can soak up some oil from the K&N to prevent it from hurting your MAF - very common practice.

Second, we also carry a AFE Pro-5 drop in oil-less filter that also touts higher flow like the K&N.

Thirdly, a performance filter by itself has minimal gains, but once chipped with an exhaust and larger volumetric airflow from any other mod you may do, the performance filter can keep up- yielding significantly higher gains than a stock filter. Also, the performance filters are washable and reusable, so you can buy one filter for the life of your vehicle.

To say a performance filter does not do anything is simply wrong. You will notice better throttle response with a K&N and it helps keep throttling smoother than an OEM filter as well.

Both the K&N and Pro5 are available from this link - click click
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always shied away from the "performance" filters on the theory that if they flow more air they also flow more dirt......if it has bigger holes to flow more air, it can let more dirt in too. I've read the data that says the performance filters are simply more permeable, so more air gets thru, but I still think my theory holds water.....along the same lines, the engine can only use so much air , especially at anything other than WOT, and I spend a very small amount of time at WOT.

But then, I'm not looking for any performance gains, I'm happy with my car's performance for how I use it and the conditions I drive it in....

YMMV

Last edited by allroaddave; 04-21-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by allroaddave
I've always shied away from the "performance" filters on the theory that if they flow more air they also flow more dirt......if it has bigger holes to flow more air, it can let more dirt in too. I've read the data that says the performance filters are simply more permeable, so more air gets thru, but I still think my theory holds water.....along the same lines, the engine can only use so much air , especially at anything other than WOT, and I spend a very small amount of time at WOT.

But then, I'm not looking for any performance gains, I'm happy with my car's performance for how I use it and the conditions I drive it in....

YMMV
For what it is worth, K&N is very open about their testing. Granted this is from the manufacturer - it seems very sound. Worth a quick read to test the water holding ability of your theory - http://www.knfilters.com/efficiency_testing.htm

"Our actual air filters when tested generally demonstrate a cumulative filtration efficiency of between 96% and 99%. All this testing we do allows us to guarantee our air filters provide all the protection your vehicle will ever need."
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a cumulative filtration efficiency

Wonder what that means?

I'm pretty sure the aftermarket filters - when treated correctly with the right amount of oil and so on - do a good job, but there are so many variables available - just as there are with OEM paper filters that I think I'd prefer to just keep a good clean stock one in place.

Again, others who use their cars differently or want more performance than stock might find an advantage using an aftermarket filter, as I said before YMMV!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello, thanks for your response, did you install the s-flo inside the box cutting a section at the bottom?
found this http://www.esetuning.com/ABD-Racingw...i-p/70.q27.htm and actually I like the idea of having the filter far away of the heat and installing a heat barrier too
and thanks everyone for your responses, in terms of damage to the mass sensor is the oil on the filter or the heat from the engine, because have years with a K&N filter on an A4 1.8T without any problem using the right oil from K&N
What do you think?
tx
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

for me, performance modding to my allroad is like one of those funny daydreams-where i just kinda stare and laugh to myself as i think of my wife strapping our two kids in the back, getting in, adjusting the mirror while checking her hair and makeup, then stepping on the gas and busting through the side of the house across the street. Basically, when it comes to performance modding, the man in me says..HELL YEAH!!...but the husband/father in me say....ehhhh...i don't know if that's such a good idea. hehehe...it's still a pretty amusing visual....
Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2cpaps
Hello, thanks for your response, did you install the s-flo inside the box cutting a section at the bottom?
no cutting needed.
took a little finagling but it fits entirely inside the stock airbox

Originally Posted by 2cpaps
found this http://www.esetuning.com/ABD-Racingw...i-p/70.q27.htm and actually I like the idea of having the filter far away of the heat and installing a heat barrier too
and thanks everyone for your responses, in terms of damage to the mass sensor is the oil on the filter or the heat from the engine, because have years with a K&N filter on an A4 1.8T without any problem using the right oil from K&N
What do you think?
tx
the one thing i can see with this is that it will be sucking in all kinds of super hot air.
example:

wont get much gain from the extra air flow if the air is 125+ degrees
these engines run hot with the two turbos.
ive measured the intake air temp in mine and it runs around 100 on a good day with the outside air temp around 60ish, and thats with the stock airbox sucking in air from outside the engine bay.

the designers knew what they were doing when they made the intake system.
works pretty darn well the way its made.

Quick Reply: k&n filter kit on 2.7T