Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Leak in RL air spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in RL air spring

I have just bought a used 2005 allroad. Occassionaly overnight, when left in setting 2, the car will lower to 1 (or perhaps even lower). When I start it, raises to whatever setting I picked in the car. No constant air leak nor does the compressor work beyond the initial reinflation.

At the mechnics, with car off, we boosted the battery to 14.2V and then the LR air spring lifted to the appropriate height.

Does anyone know if this could be the solenoid or have any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is probably a leakage of air pressure from the air springs or from the pressure connectors in a valve block and on the air springs. Check pressure leaks using soap water. Remember! Before you lift up the car Put the air spring system in "Jack mode"
Old 09-17-2017, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What amiram replied is the usual problem and seems to be an issue with this suspension.
I don't know if raising the voltage and the problem rectified is a coincidence or not.
The only two things I can think of that raising the voltage that would effect the suspension are:
1. Your compressor is flagging out, so added volts gave it a push along - to check, lower to stage 1 then go up all the way to stage 4, that should bring the compressor on, you should see the light flashing on the buttons and if you stick you head down near the rear wheel well you should hear the little compressor working away trying to pump the air up. If it takes more than 30 seconds you are probably looking at a compressor rebuild/ replacement.
2. There is a sensor on each corner. Little black actuator type and a plastic arm connected to the suspension. Check the plug is clean and clicked in, you may have a poor connection. You could also check the sensor by taking it out and swapping for another corner, they are all the same.