Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

LF CV Boot ripped, no clicking, just vibration, DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF CV Boot ripped, no clicking, just vibration, DIY?

Can I just replace the boot and regrease?

The boot is ripped basically in half, and the grease is everywhere. I've been running it like this for a while thinking it was brakes... I have the rotors and pads and was not surprised to find the frist wheel I pulled had a grease disaster.

Can I do this myself, or should I haul it to the dealer? I am 2 hours from a dealer, and no indy's anywhere near me.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had just the opposite. Boot o.k. but CV joint clicking on turns...

luckily replaced under warranty
Old 05-12-2007, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it's been that way awhile, you're probably better replacing the CV joint as well.

I did one boot about three months ago after it had been spraying grease for a week. Now I'm starting to get vibration under acceleration -- not sure if the CV joint is going or if it's something else. But the conventional wisdom here seems to be that if you have *any* doubts about the condition of your CV joints, get the axles rebuilt. It's about the same amount of work to replace the axle as to replace the boot. You just have to be able to live without the car for a few days while you ship the axles out for rebuilding. If you want to try just the boot, it's just a matter of your time. Obviously, it's a dirty, greasy job but can be done in a couple of hours. You may find the job goes easier if you have the joint splitter tool called for in Bentley, but it can be done without it. There are a couple of articles in the tech section give you an idea of what's involved.