Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

new buyer: Allroad vs. S4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new buyer: Allroad vs. S4 Avant

I'm starting the research step of purchasing a new car. I've been around Audi's a bunch (5kqt & a8) and I know what's involved with maintenance. Since I live in Colorado and spend a lot of time driving to ski areas, trailheads and driving in the mountains, a turbo charged engine and quattro is a must have. My question is, other than the size of the car, the adjustable ride height, what are the other differences b/t the allroad 2.7T and the S4 Avant 2.7T? Should I even consider a the Avant, or can someone absolutely say the allroad should be my only choice...

Thanks..
Pete

78 VW Bus, 2.0L FI
93 Pathfinder, 3.0L V6
Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: new buyer: Allroad vs. S4 Avant

Its a size thing. You can make a 6spd 2.7T ar drive almost as sporty as an S4 avant. the rear seat accomodations and wagon on the avant are really limiting, I have found. I really wanted to go the S4 route -- its just too small to me. AND if you have any real chance of driving thru some bad conditions -- dirt roads/light off-roading/deep unplowed snow -- being able to raise your ride height is very useful. surprise: ar wins!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Have both, VERY different cars...

I personally prefer the S4, as it is a much more responsive car to drive (no mods in either equation, 6speed in the S, tip in the allroad) - although it is certainly smaller, which can be challenging with 2 kids and assorted luggage, etc. I actually am leaning toward melding the two into an s6 avant, but losing the 6-speed is not something I relish. In the mountains I would think the 2.7t is the ticket, it all comes down to your sport/practicality intersects on the ol' x/y axis.

Oh, to further muddy the waters, I get much better mileage with the S, even though I probably drive a bit more enthusiastically than the ar...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Bottom line....cons:S4 less room no ride height adjust...ar more moving parts:)

If you are used to Audi maintenance I would think for what you are wanting to use it for..hauling people AND stuff the ar is your vehicle...every time I think I can go without the adjustable suspension I use it again, bad weather, bad roads, heavier load for a short period...no question the S4 would be more fun to drive but in the drive fun/practicality quotient here I am with that pancake bunny math again ar wins by a bigger nose I promise I won't quit my day job.

You also have LOTS of ar enthusiasts in your area to help with issues and with which dealers/indies to frequent. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default comparing a 6sp S4 with a tip ar is like

comparing apples and cantalopes. the tip on the 2.7t (not the 4.2) is a sluggish, unreponsive mess of a transmission that muddles the reflexes and feel of an otherwise great car. I had it and never stopped hating it. try comparing a 6sp with a 6spd and you'll see they are a lot closer than you think
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: comparing a 6sp S4 with a tip ar is like

So you didn't like the 2.7T with the tip? That's the combo I'm most interested in. I've been driving a 156 HP automatic SUV. The lack of power in the mountains really sucks. I'm fine with the idea of getting the tiptronic. Back when I had my Mustang GT, an automatic would never have cut it. Assuming I'm not buying for performance, but for the 250HP, will I really be unimpressed with the Tip.??
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default make no mistake -- the 2.7T tip SUUCCKKS

it gets confused on repeated start/stop/traffic light slow down followed by accel. I accepted it and simply drove less aggressively. S mode didnt do squat. there are chips for the tranny. Feh. Now that I have a 4.2 the car is totally different. The confused trnny becomes a willing partner and s-mode is rocket sled right now accel/and engine braking. Maybe its that my 4.2 is an 05 and the 2.7t was an 03... think long and hard before you get a 2.7t with tip especially since the 6spd is a gem
Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: comparing a 6sp S4 with a tip ar is like

The power is fine. From a stop the tip suffers from a not to subtle throttle lag. Test drive one to try it out. It's something you learn to live with it. Since I had my torque converter and tranny replaced the lag is much less noticeable.

If you get a tip get a warranty to cover the dreaded 17125 torque converter problem, I wish I had..
Old 06-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Default 156hp...? 01' Pathfinder??

Learn to live with a clutch!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM

Default I can't speak about later model 2.7T's but my '01 even with the TIP takes almost anything short of a

pocket rocket (and how practical are they, really?) off a dead stop...way better with the turbo than any other auto, even those with the same hp...but it depends on what kind of driving you do...sometimes when I need to go from a stop I need to go now and this car ALWAYS goes...I did have the torque converter redone and almost all other parts short of the transmission itself but the other issue is that the 2.7 with TIP does get better gas mileage...yes the stick would be better but I can't drive a stick due to the type of driving I do, distractions and old knees

Drive them both if you can and see what you think...you can also beef up the turbo down the road if you choose to...read all about that in the archives before you decide...there is so much info here as to be almost overwhelming, but better than going into this blind.

Quick Reply: new buyer: Allroad vs. S4 Avant