Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

NEW Rebuild Kit for the Allroad Suspension Compressor - Piston Ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NEW Rebuild Kit for the Allroad Suspension Compressor - Piston Ring

Hello allroaders

I have a 2003 ar, 2.7t 6mt that I bought new. It just came off a 100K warranty, so, I am back wrenching. I have been lurking here for years, but now feel its my turn to give back to the group.

The front air springs/boots were replaced on warranty but the air compressor is having the characteristic symptoms: noisy, running longer than usual and not able to get up to level 4.

It's usually just a worn piston ring in the compressor. I spent days searching for a fix, from a new compressor to the BEER CAN fix. I was miffed that the damn compressor had to replaced for a simple wear part. I was not thrilled about the beer can approach of using part of a beer can to shim out the stock piston ring.

I think I found the perfect solution. I searched the UK Audi forums and found an engineer in the UK that was in the same position as me. He was determined to fix the compressor correctly and not just band aid it.

As an aerospace engineer, he disassembled the compressor and found it was just a worn down piston ring. He obtained the same PFTE material used in the stock ring and turned a new one on a lathe. And it worked perfectly. When he told his allroad mates in the UK, they encouraged him to make more and offer them for sale.

So, this guy Andy, a full time engineer, husband and father of two young girls, has put a comprehensive compressor rebuild kit on Ebay. The kit has a precision turned piston ring of the same material used in the factory pump, new O ring seal, replacement bolts, locktite and instructions. Even zip ties for the air lines.

I have had several emails back and forth to Andy - I wanted to make sure this was not some beer can fix / band-aid with a fancy name. Boy, its not. I just bought one and it should take five days to get here. Only $6 for air shipping.

To be honest, I am doing this post in part because I am really impressed with this guy. VAG could care less about simple inexpensive fixes - just replace the entire damn compressor for the want of a seal. Since these compressors do not usually go under warranty, why should VAG care. Since VAG is selling the compressors at $600, why should they.

The entire rebuild kit is about $55 US and $6 shipping. He sends new bolts because in the UK at least, these bolts rust and are difficult to remove. Not a issue in Colorado, but, hey, new bolts are all ways the better approach. Same with the new O ring he supplies.

AND HE GIVES A FULL RETURN POLICY.

Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/6lw9cak

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160822573306...84.m1423.l2649

Andy's ebay handle is bagpipingandy. He originally got the lathe to make bag pipes!

No, he is not my brother in law and no, I am not getting a cut. I am just really impressed that a guy with a family came up with a real professional solution.

I will take photos when I install the kit and will post back.

Sorry if part of this post sounds a bit corny, but I really like the idea of supporting a guy that comes up with REAL and appropriate fix.

best

Peter
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Andy sold out all kits in stock from this post - More on Monday

Andy sold out all kits i stock from this post, more will be available next week.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Hello allroaders

I have a 2003 ar, 2.7t 6mt that I bought new. It just came off a 100K warranty, so, I am back wrenching. I have been lurking here for years, but now feel its my turn to give back to the group.

The front air springs/boots were replaced on warranty but the air compressor is having the characteristic symptoms: noisy, running longer than usual and not able to get up to level 4.

It's usually just a worn piston ring in the compressor. I spent days searching for a fix, from a new compressor to the BEER CAN fix. I was miffed that the damn compressor had to replaced for a simple wear part. I was not thrilled about the beer can approach of using part of a beer can to shim out the stock piston ring.

I think I found the perfect solution. I searched the UK Audi forums and found an engineer in the UK that was in the same position as me. He was determined to fix the compressor correctly and not just band aid it.

As an aerospace engineer, he disassembled the compressor and found it was just a worn down piston ring. He obtained the same PFTE material used in the stock ring and turned a new one on a lathe. And it worked perfectly. When he told his allroad mates in the UK, they encouraged him to make more and offer them for sale.

So, this guy Andy, a full time engineer, husband and father of two young girls, has put a comprehensive compressor rebuild kit on Ebay. The kit has a precision turned piston ring of the same material used in the factory pump, new O ring seal, replacement bolts, locktite and instructions. Even zip ties for the air lines.

I have had several emails back and forth to Andy - I wanted to make sure this was not some beer can fix / band-aid with a fancy name. Boy, its not. I just bought one and it should take five days to get here. Only $6 for air shipping.

To be honest, I am doing this post in part because I am really impressed with this guy. VAG could care less about simple inexpensive fixes - just replace the entire damn compressor for the want of a seal. Since these compressors do not usually go under warranty, why should VAG care. Since VAG is selling the compressors at $600, why should they.

The entire rebuild kit is about $55 US and $6 shipping. He sends new bolts because in the UK at least, these bolts rust and are difficult to remove. Not a issue in Colorado, but, hey, new bolts are all ways the better approach. Same with the new O ring he supplies.

AND HE GIVES A FULL RETURN POLICY.

Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/6lw9cak

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160822573306...84.m1423.l2649

Andy's ebay handle is bagpipingandy. He originally got the lathe to make bag pipes!

No, he is not my brother in law and no, I am not getting a cut. I am just really impressed that a guy with a family came up with a real professional solution.

I will take photos when I install the kit and will post back.

Sorry if part of this post sounds a bit corny, but I really like the idea of supporting a guy that comes up with REAL and appropriate fix.

best

Peter
If it really work and up to OEM standard, meaning it will last just as long as the original part, I too support him.

My compressor was loud and not building up pressure as required so I purchase a new unit from Arnott.

When I remove the old compressor, I found the problem was the rivets that is suppose to hold down the end plate so pressure can build up in the cylinder was loose and almost completely fall out.

If I knew this before-hand, I would simply replace the rivets and condition the rubber seal between the surface, even thou it seems fine. This is a completely serviceable part. I know a lot of companies that rebuilt large compressors and these are no different, same principle on a smaller scale. All they do is hone the cylinder, change piston or re-ring and you are good as new.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Suggest taking Compressor shield off each year to clean out sand/salt

Originally Posted by P4Ring
If it really work and up to OEM standard, meaning it will last just as long as the original part, I too support him.

My compressor was loud and not building up pressure as required so I purchase a new unit from Arnott.

When I remove the old compressor, I found the problem was the rivets that is suppose to hold down the end plate so pressure can build up in the cylinder was loose and almost completely fall out.

If I knew this before-hand, I would simply replace the rivets and condition the rubber seal between the surface, even thou it seems fine. This is a completely serviceable part. I know a lot of companies that rebuilt large compressors and these are no different, same principle on a smaller scale. All they do is hone the cylinder, change piston or re-ring and you are good as new.
Did your rivets rust out? I have seen some very old posts on that, as well as bolts coming loose.

I agree with your thoughts about fixing compressors. We have a dry (oil-less) compressor - they are less maintenance, but noisy and considered disposable. In the EU, VW has a rebuild kit for the Tiguan compressors (similar to ours but not same fittigs) for $150. It includes piston ring and air dryer. SO, VAG can do it, but chooses not to for allroads.

Even if your compressor is fine, I strongly suggest every year or so removing the air compressor sound shield, cleaning out the sand, cleaning the sound blanket and eyeballing the pump/hoses/connectors.

Even after hosing down the shield in place, I had one inch sand and mag chloride crusted on the inside of shield. I would guess that if the sand keeps building up, it covers the compressor with rust and corrosion issues.

On the inside of the shield is a sound blanket. Removes by two twist on nuts. When removed, it was hard and crusty. After soaking in warm soapy water and rinsing a lot, it was like new - like a fiberglass blanket. Its gotta work better clean.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Did your rivets rust out? I have seen some very old posts on that, as well as bolts coming loose.

I agree with your thoughts about fixing compressors. We have a dry (oil-less) compressor - they are less maintenance, but noisy and considered disposable. In the EU, VW has a rebuild kit for the Tiguan compressors (similar to ours but not same fittigs) for $150. It includes piston ring and air dryer. SO, VAG can do it, but chooses not to for allroads.

Even if your compressor is fine, I strongly suggest every year or so removing the air compressor sound shield, cleaning out the sand, cleaning the sound blanket and eyeballing the pump/hoses/connectors.

Even after hosing down the shield in place, I had one inch sand and mag chloride crusted on the inside of shield. I would guess that if the sand keeps building up, it covers the compressor with rust and corrosion issues.

On the inside of the shield is a sound blanket. Removes by two twist on nuts. When removed, it was hard and crusty. After soaking in warm soapy water and rinsing a lot, it was like new - like a fiberglass blanket. Its gotta work better clean.
The rivets are aluminum, they cannot rust. Simply poor design. Nuts & bolts or screws would have done a better job.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P4Ring
The rivets are aluminum, they cannot rust.
But they can corrode to the point they break/fall out, especially if attached to steel.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
But they can corrode to the point they break/fall out, especially if attached to steel.
Thanks Kneale -- corrode, that's what I meant to say. I suppose some Colorado mag chloride helps speed the process.

I knew I saw posts from the past about the rivets.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Kits in Stock

Andy just listed more kits on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160900418487
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just installed mine..

Bought a kit from Andy off ebay. My Allroad was dropped in the front and it took awhile to get it to raise After installing the kit, it raises up no problem and stays there. It was not a fun job because of how tight it is in there, but well worth it. Thanks Andy!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I must be doing something wrong, ebay states the the seller doesn't ship to the U.S.? How did you get yours?

Quick Reply: NEW Rebuild Kit for the Allroad Suspension Compressor - Piston Ring