Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

NEW Rebuild Kit for the Allroad Suspension Compressor - Piston Ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How have I not found this before? I've known my compressor is on borrowed time since I bought it. It holds at #1 fine but try moving up to #2, #3, or #4 is hit or miss and usually times out.

I will have to give this a try as I've always thought it was nuts to have to replace the whole compressor of ~$400 or so.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the compressor rebuild kit just last week. Should be here any day now. I presume he makes them available in batches. When I bought mine, Ebay said there was one left. I understand though that they become available fairly regularly.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes, he does make them in batches at a time, and does ship to the US.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just received mine yesterday and installed it an hour ago. I too saw the no US shipping bit when I went to purchase it so I sent him an email. He was having issues getting them insure but has since resolved that and they are back for sale on ebay with US shipping! I have yet to crawl back under and install it as I'm dealing with another suspension mystery issue and a connector that was corroded, but will report back with results when I do. Damn you and your salt, MN.

On another note, did anyone else who replaced this notice any difference in diameter on the piston ring? Is the point of replacement just to get it's springiness back so it makes contact with the cylinder bore? I guess I had a hard time telling what was wrong with my original aside from a slight sheen. It does not seem like the compressor has close enough tolerances for it NOT to be a visual difference.

A last note, as stated in the directions, my O-ring was the formed variety so I reused my old one with some VAG gasket maker. I also ran into the replacement bolts being slightly too long so again reused the old ones with some blue thread lock. Not a big deal but don't be surprised!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default time?

Im getting ready to order one of these kits, and i was wondering about how long it took you guys to do the repair? Has everyone had good results? it takes FOR-EV-ER to change levels in my car now...
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys,

Are these still around? I tried searching e-bay but have not had much luck. I will just eat it and buy the complete pump if I have to, but saving a few bucks as always a nice thing

Chris
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tellmem3
Hey guys,

Are these still around? I tried searching e-bay but have not had much luck. I will just eat it and buy the complete pump if I have to, but saving a few bucks as always a nice thing

Chris
HI Chris, yes still for sale see link to my items:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bagpipinga...&_trksid=p3686

Any questions please just ask

best regards

Andy
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Andy. I will give one of these a try. Thanks for the fast response.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
HI Chris, yes still for sale see link to my items:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bagpipinga...&_trksid=p3686

Any questions please just ask

best regards

Andy
Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tellmem3
Thanks Andy. I will give one of these a try. Thanks for the fast response.

Kind Regards,

Chris
No Problem, typical symptoms of a tired compressor is, when lifting from 1-2 or higher if it takes more than 120 seconds each level the suspension error light will come on, but turn ignition off and on again, it will clear the error, and pressing up it will try again, this is very typical of a tired compressor on the allroad, the kit will renew the compression good as new

best regards

Andy
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's what it's doing! It seems to gets really bad in the winter time here in Colorado. But that makes sense the more I think about it. I bet the rubber rings shrink on the piston in the cold allowing more air to leak past them and in the summer, they expand in the heat and the system works fairly well then.

Thanks again. I just ordered a kit from you

Chris

Originally Posted by bagpipingandy
No Problem, typical symptoms of a tired compressor is, when lifting from 1-2 or higher if it takes more than 120 seconds each level the suspension error light will come on, but turn ignition off and on again, it will clear the error, and pressing up it will try again, this is very typical of a tired compressor on the allroad, the kit will renew the compression good as new

best regards

Andy

Quick Reply: NEW Rebuild Kit for the Allroad Suspension Compressor - Piston Ring