Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New tires on the way. Road force tolerances??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires on the way. Road force tolerances??

I've ordered a set of Falken Ziex-512's, in the stock size, for my 03 ar, and I'm having them installed on Friday at my dealer (assuming they arrive in time). The dealer has a Hunter Road Force balancing machine, and I've told the service rep that I want the new tires road force balanced and that I want to see the printouts for the balancing results.

So my question is this: What am I looking for on the road force printout? What are acceptable tolerances?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: New tires on the way. Road force tolerances??

Take a look at my posted pic of my printout, stuff is highlighted.

Just click on my user account number at the top of my post (in small blue print) and then click on the posted pictured link (a number in blue)
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 AM

Great, thanks!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:19 AM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Kim, about that Miata...

If you're looking for options for making it speedier, there's a guy in Atlanta who popped a turbo into his, tuned it a little further and is currently making over 300 whp. If you want details I could try to track him down for you.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:54 AM

Default that sounds expensive...sigh....

yea, the miata was supposed to be the 3rd car to save us $$ on not driving the 996 that much! argh...

thanks though! Must...resist...temptation...must...resist!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:37 AM

Default Kim, why did it exceed limits at 11 lbs?

I thought a total assembly could be within limits as high as 18 lbs?

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 06:08 AM

Default Re: New tires on the way. Road force tolerances??

Dave:

You'll like the Falkens a lot.

I've heard up to 18 lbs is acceptable. I received 2 (of 4) tires that were 23 and 33 lbs and could not be rotated to within limits so they were immediately replaced by Discount Tire Direct.

I had mine done at Craven Tire. The first two were done at the Leesburg Pike, Vienna store and the replacements were done at the Merrifield location. I liked doing them there because I could go in the shop and watch the process. Only one of them required rotating which reduced the road force from 13 to 9 pounds.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 06:22 AM

Default I guess I need to learn a new vocabulary

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to go back to the Hunter web page and read more about the road force balancing process. I'm not clear on what the "pounds" number is actually measuring. Nor do I understand the role that rotating plays in this. I guess I'd better get myself educated.

I used to live in NOVA, and now I'm down in Williamsburg. But I may just bring the tires up to Craven next week since you give them a thumbs up. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kim, I had a '96 M-edition that I sold after moving from NC to MI -

It was so wonderful, particularly in a warmer climate where I seldom drove on freeways and the roads were smooth and curvy. I could never walk away from it without turning back to smile at it. I miss it still, even though its seat threw my back out of wack. Enjoy.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Hunter web site not great at explaining limits.

The machine is applying 1400 pounds of pressure on the tire to simulate average road forces when driving the car. The pounds measurement is the maximum difference at the highest point on the tire. The 9700 also measures the rim to find the lowest point, sometimes the tire can be rotated so the high point on the tire is matched with the rim's low point and the overall road force imbalance is reduced.

I'm sure there's a good place in the Williamsburg area to get it done. Kramer Tire has a number of locations in your area with 9700's. Call and check prices, they can vary a lot. The Hunter web site will give you a list.

Jim

Jim

Quick Reply: New tires on the way. Road force tolerances??