Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Off-roading resource?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-roading resource?

Hey guys, I know that this question is in some ways an oxymoron, but are there any resources for locating off-road trails fit for autos? MTBR.com has a listing of mountain biking trails that is very useful and I was hoping to find something similiar for cars. Does anyone know of one?

If not, are there any trails in the Illinois, Michigan or Wisconsin areas that anyone knows of?
Old 12-05-2001, 10:44 AM

Default National forest fire trail/seasonal roads/logging roads, Yankee springs, Allegan state game area and

the National forest near Big Rapids are all interesting in Michigan. Quite often if the road has a name it's descriptive, "Sand Hill Road" was fun

Best bet is to pack a gps, a shovel, a winch and go find a Nat forest, then just explore. The upper lower peninsula has many more miles of trails than the lower.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:13 PM

Default Re: National forest fire trail/seasonal roads/logging roads, Yankee springs, Allegan state game area

Hey Nick, thanks a lot for the response!

Quick question, though. Do you mean that the upper peninsula has more miles of trail than the lower? Or that the upper part of the lower peninsula is the place to go?

Just a little confused. Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2001, 06:27 AM

Default The upper lower is what I'm familiar with, I haven't been in the UP enough to recommend a place.

Most of what I've seen in the UP are wide, well maintained trails.

The fire trail roads around Big Rapids are quite extensive and can be really nasty at times. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I haven't been to Silver Lake, MI, but the jeepers I know like it.

<a href="http://www.sandykorners.com/">Sand hills at silver lake</a>

<a href="http://www.sanddragway.com/slsd/">Sand Drag racing.</a>
Old 12-06-2001, 10:41 PM

Default Re: The upper lower is what I'm familiar with, I haven't been in the UP enough to recommend a place.

Wow, talk about a blast from the past! When I was a kid growing up in NYC, I used to come out to Michigan almost every summer to visit my Aunt and cousins. We would almost always spend at least a little time out at Silver Lake.

Man, I had almost forgotten about that. What a trip it would be to get back out there with my allroad. I wonder how it would do on the dunes?

Thanks again Nick, I really appreciate the info!