AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Oh, the horror...look away, a Unicorn is on life-support. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/oh-horror-look-away-unicorn-life-support-2794386/)

Giblet 11-11-2010 09:15 PM

Oh, the horror...look away, a Unicorn is on life-support.

3 Attachment(s)
Well, today during a trip up to my hometown of Vancouver, BC, to attend the funeral of my best friend's dad, I was delayed when some gentleman decided that his beater Ford Van could accelerate through a left turn when I was 50 feet away. Sadly, he was mistaken and there is a high potential that my beloved '01 6-speed allroad with 3rd row seat is now headed for the scrap heap. Funny thing is he comes out looks at the damage on both vehicles and utters these unforgettable words, "look at my poor old van!"? Really? You and your 1980s vintage van just killed my unicorn!

Along with missing my friend's eulogy, I now get the joy of working through two insurance companies. Thanks to my great friends and extended family, I am now safe at home while my car is 100 miles away, shivering in the cold rain.

I come tonight to the allroad oracle and ask 2 questions:

1) What are the chances that this will be written off? I am actually hoping they repair it!
2) What are the current payouts for allroads these days?

Finally, no injuries to report on my end. Car's cabin was untouched and the airbags didn't even deploy.

Those sensitive to allroads, please look away, graphic pictures ensue:

sprocket3 11-11-2010 09:42 PM

I think costs to repair will exceed book value. So it's totaled. You may be able to buy it back as salvage and repair at your expense. I bet you could buy it back for less than $2000.

Sorry about your loss.

mbevins 11-14-2010 06:58 AM

If you do buy it back DO NOT LET THEM CHANGE THE TITLE TO SALVAGE if you do you will have extreme difficulty with this car in the future. Insurance companies like to do this.When it comes time to sell you will get half of book value

indoor 11-14-2010 08:35 AM

that doesn't look that bad

As long as you don't go to a dealer it shouldn't be more than 5k for repairs. The car should be worth at least 7k...so it's not a total loss. At least not in Illinois(if the cost of repairs exceed 80% of fair market value of car than it's considered total loss).
From what I can tell you need a new bumper, headlight, fender, hood, fog light and whatever is damaged behind all that(windshield washer tank, etc)...Is the engine still running?

ricam78 11-14-2010 05:47 PM

So sorry to see that! One quick question though, shouldn't that be on a flatbed tow truck?

Also, get estimates on repairs sooner than later and see if it is worth doing on your own so that you know what to say when the insurance company calls. Also know that parting allroads (esp the 6 speed ones) can get you a good deal of $, so if you have the space and time you can make back probably more than they settle with the for if they total it.

Best of luck to you and glad to see you and the family are OK.

Oh yea, do you have a pic of those RS6 tails on the allroad?

Giblet 11-15-2010 05:17 PM

I don't know if the engine is running as I shut it down immediately after impact. I was a little concerned that something (i.e. rad or oil pan) was damaged and bleeding precious liquid the engine would need. I was also worried about the turbo since it is in the general area.

It is funny that you mentioned the windshield washer fluid as I was standing there watching it bleed blue and for a while I lost my mind and figured it was the rad when later I realized it would be the washer fluid reservoir.

The tow truck put the rear wheels on a little rolling skid. If the car is towed back home for repairs (something I am pushing for), I will definitely request a flat bed. I was actually a little impressed that the tow truck driver even knew to get all four wheels off the ground for the quattro system. :)

I should know by Thursday what the outcome will be... here's hoping she pulls through.

all(over)road 11-16-2010 06:45 AM

Jebus...that stinks ! Glad you are OK.

How many miles on it? Its looks fixable from the pic but who really knows from a pic. I know my 01' 6-speed isn't worth much more than 5 grand if that. I doubt if the any insurance will give an almost 10 year old car much value...either to fix or to pay out.

Take the pay out, buy that one off insurance, part it and get another (really nice)one....just my 2 beans. It will prolly never be the same no matter how much money is dumped into fixing it. There are alot of good parts worth $$$ on it....you could make out pretty good.

I'll take your 3rd row seats ! (sorry to vulture you like that in your time of grief!)

Giblet 11-16-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by all(over)road (Post 24061971)
I'll take your 3rd row seats ! (sorry to vulture you like that in your time of grief!)

Funny thing you should ask as I took out the 3rd row just before my trip so that I could stick in 3 big boxes I needed to deliver. So, the 3rd row is on my shelf in my garage in its cover bag. I also have the toneau cover there.

But before I start donating organs, I will wait to hear from the Dr. the final words. :P

For grins, I am looking around and trying to arm myself for the battle over the payout if it indeed ends up that way. Good luck for them trying to find a 6-speed with 84K out there to do a true comparable.

sprocket3 11-16-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Giblet (Post 24062135)
Funny thing you should ask as I took out the 3rd row just before my trip so that I could stick in 3 big boxes I needed to deliver. So, the 3rd row is on my shelf in my garage in its cover bag. I also have the toneau cover there.

But before I start donating organs, I will wait to hear from the Dr. the final words. :P

For grins, I am looking around and trying to arming myself for battle over the payout if it indeed ends up that way. Good luck for them trying to find a 6-speed with 84K out there to do a true comparable.

Good luck to you if you think they are going to pay a premium for your 6 speed!!

If you can't get your value out of the car, better get some extra money for your neck and back pain. Insurance companies don't like to give special value for a something like a manual trans. It's just a 10 year old Audi to the person on the end of the phone. I don't think being rare will pull much more in the way of value. Who knows though, I could be wrong.

How much for the wheels and tires? Just kidding.

jibmaster1 11-16-2010 05:26 PM

Damn! Flashback for me. About a year ago I had a 02' tip that was totaled. The damage was in the exact same area to be precise. Although it may not 'look' as bad as you think there is MANY things to address before you agree to fixing if it comes close. I.E., an intercooler lays right there. If the intake tube (likely) disintergrated, it could have sucked bits into the turbo. ($$$$). Although rare, six speeds in decent shape exist. Take the pain and comp $, buy your old one for parts and find your new unicorn lad... Seriously. You'd pay for it 10x over. Sorry to hear your loss though. Glad to hear your okay too. Good luck!