Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

OK, all this chip talk is getting me hotNbothered. I did a search 4 APR and ...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, all this chip talk is getting me hotNbothered. I did a search 4 APR and ...........

came up with a battle between APR and GIAC? Is this correct? The problem is there is too much information. I'm interested in some more power but mainly keeping it under control for the mileage increase and of course the 'viagric' effect on knowing it's there.
My question is this, is there a couple of 'famous' links that cut to the chase? I want to make a choice and I want to know everything involved in going into this from the start. If there isn't a link, then let's make THIS one the famous link.
Please spout what you know, links to products etc please.<ul><li><a href="http://myweb.cableone.net/4richelle/allroad5.jpg">http://myweb.cableone.net/4richelle/allroad5.jpg</a</li></ul>
Old 01-31-2004, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would say........if you have an APR/GIAC?MTM?ETC dealer close to you that feels good........

that's the main thing. the performance is pretty close for all the chips. it's what happens when things go wrong that matters. so far apr has not been that great for me.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:55 PM

In all honesty I wonder if we even HAVE a dealer in Idaho
Old 01-31-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Either will work.

Normally, I'd say to base your choice on finding local support, but you're far from any chip dealer. One other question is what octane gas you can get. 91 is hard for some chips to deal with.

GIAC - in the person of Garrett Lim - has more experience tuning Bosch engine management systems than anyone else. That's all they do and they do it very well. His program for the allroad is less agressive than the X-chip for the S4. I believe it to be based on the older S4 program, which I've had great experience with. That chip runs a max boost of 1.0 bar (X hits 1.2 bar at low rpm, then tapers down) and is smooth as can be on 91 octane.

APR is a solid engineering company with more than one person tuning cars - and with broader focus to their work (exhaust systems, bipipes, snub mounts, etc.). Sometimes this is good and sometimes it's bad. They've got interesting products, such as the switch-program EMCS unit, but they've kind of ignored the allroad applications. The EMCS allows you to change programs with the cruise control buttons, IIRC, switching between stock, chipped, race program (needs 100 octane), and valet mode. I'm unsure if all these options are available for the allroad, in addition to the S4. Also unclear how the basic chipped program does on 91 octane. The EMCS in stock mode will hide the fact that you're chipped from a cursory dealer inspection, but not from a careful check, IIRC.

Perhaps Milpitas 2.7T can comment on how GIAC has performed versus APR, since he bought and tested both on 91 octane. Or you and I can search the S4 forum archives. Lurking in the S4 forum for a few weeks will teach you who's sensible, and then you can search the archives for their comments. Unfortunately, lots of people blindly pimp their tuner over any other.

I'll be chipping my 2001 Highland Green allroad soon and can't yet decide between these two.

-df
Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 PM

So there is NO WAY to hide the fact that you are chipped from the dealer?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Yes there is. You buy a second ECU

and chip that one. Put the original ECU on a shelf, and put it in for dealer visits. You need VAG-COM software to erase the power-interruption fault code, too.

ECU swap takes about 15 minutes, I'm told. Not that I would know. I'm also told that a semi-deep Snap-on socket, Stock No:TMMDS10 in the online catalog at www.snap-on.com, is just the ticket for getting at the rear bolt on the ECU cover.

-df
Old 02-01-2004, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no need to remove rear screw, 4 front screws allow plenty of access to inside of box
Old 02-01-2004, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd
Old 02-01-2004, 09:56 AM

Default One complication...

We've got Immobilizer 3, which makes changing ECU's a bit of a pain. There's a write-up about it on the VAG-COM website (www.ross-tech.com), but I've never done it. You need the secret code that the dealer used to make the keys work with the cluster (which, in turn, talks to the ECU, IIRC). I'm told that this seven-digit number is on the paperwork that the dealer keeps after the service visit during which they re-programmed your keys. They're not supposed to let you have the number, but maybe if you ask the cashier for xerox copies of all the paperwork....

I'm just guessing at this stuff, after reading stuff. My shop manual should arrive this week, so I'll read that. Time to start a thread asking for the forum's experiences, methinks.

-df
Old 02-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Stätus Josh

Default How bout ya fly me out there and I'll chip it for ya ;)

I spent MANY MANY months of my life in Ketchum/Warm Springs. I'd love a good excuse to come back and visit

Seriously though, if you want an APR chip for your allroad, you can simply send the ecu to us via Fedex/UPS. We can chip it and ship it back to you the same day. Call me and we can discuss the details. I also recommend doing upgraded bypass valves and thottle body boot at the same time.

Quick Reply: OK, all this chip talk is getting me hotNbothered. I did a search 4 APR and ...........