Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

One last annoying question

Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One last annoying question

As some may be aware, I am checking out a '02 AR 6sp fr purchase.

Have checked its service history and all routine free maintenance has been done by dealer.

Warrenty claims in last 2 years (present owner only)

Leaking drivers window (loose in frame)
Both turbos replaced at 30,000 miles (car now has 38,000).

Qeustion is - Is turbo replacement at such a young age a red flag to anyone?

To me its a two sided coin

- great the turbos are only 8K old,

- but what with turbos going in only 50K? As a prevous non owner of turbos and/or Audi's I would want/expect 100, preferably 130K before turbo replacement.

Car is private sale, second owner with 8 months left on factory warrenty and additional 2 years after that of CPO from present owners burchase from Audi dealer.

Once again thanks!
Old 01-06-2006, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default who knows...

Turbos could go for a number of reasons. If the car didn't look abused I would be happy with 8K mile turbos. Maybe it was chipped (or still is) or they could have just gone. Wouldn't scare me away.

How long did second owner have the car? Why is he selling? Do you know if he chipped it?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Well, here is an approach that you could consider as "lessons learned"

Turbos are a hot item on every allroad, literally.
We found out that a little design flaw can lead to some severe damage.
A K03 Turbo can go at anytime on these cars, even you maintain it to the ground, there is always a good chance to blow one up.

And here is why.....
Imagine the oil feed line going into the Turbo (Passenger site) have about a 100 degree sharp bent and this particular bent is only an inch and a half away from the hottest part on the car - the exhaust manifold.

Even though some experts claim that using Synthetic oil will not cause residue in the oil line - we know better and can prove it.

For example, KMD tuning changed entirely this setup to aftermarket flex oil lines (mostly Induktion Motorsports).
So there is a cure besides keeping up with the proper maintenance and Synthetic oil.

IMHO, the K03 Turbo's are a bit too weak for such heavy car, even though K03's have a reasonable good history in other 2.7T driven cars, the ar isn't up for this challenge.
But that's just my take on this topic, others may have different experiences or opinions.

Actually, this gives me an idea for another post: how many people had blown Turbos on this forum since we last checked?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's something to look for...

My local Lexus dealer just sold an AR tip to someone. The DLR sold it chipped/upgraded (as is). The buyer still had CPO on the ECU which died. The Lexus dealer claimed they had no knolwedge the car was chipped. The Audi dealer discovered that the ECU was chipped and could not warranty the ECU. New owner ended up eating the cost. Take the car to the dealer you'll be having it serviced at and plug the car in. My first thought on two new turbos is....car had/has upgraded ECU.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Well, here is an approach that you could consider as "lessons learned"

What does a turbo replacment cost? and how bad is the work? (I would do myself)

Also any other damaged caused when the turbo's go?

-Bill
Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTDT.. as most know..I to had 1 turbo blow at 30K..

Audi replaces both as part of the spec. I now have 86K on the car with no problems since 50k,

Oil lines leaked which was a direct result of poor turbo replacement at 30K. Not a flaw in the factory work.

Dealer turbo job is over $6000.00 Indpendant Turbo job with better turbos and systems is 2/3 of this.

I say like the others say.. have the dealer check to see if there is an 'enhanced program' in the ECU.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Well, here is an approach that you could consider as "lessons learned"

Work is a PIA...the engine has to come out to replace a Turbo (13 hours by the books), and the Turbos MUST be replaced as a pair.
Cost varies pending on who you ask; dealer is more expensive ( IIRC then my bill was around 8-9K for a K03 fix).

For a lousy 3K more you could get a K04 replacement done by the dealer (not recommended).

Go to a Tuner for that kind of work, you will get a better deal and most likely all your questions will be answered. That was one of the reasons why most ar owners go to local tuning companies because most of them stand up to their work.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 AM

Default And the final decision is......

I am going to pass on the allroad.

Not because this particular one is bad or I am not keen on an allroad.

Its just that we only do 10,000 miles a year, my wife does 8,000 of these, she is notinto cars at all (they are an appliance to her) and the old Subaru is still doing fine.

Could not justify the extra $ for me to do 2,000 miles a year (although they would be enjoyable!).

Thanks everyone for help/advice you have provided to a stranger - you truly have a great and active board here.

I will probably keep lurking as the dream of Audi ownership still remains - if only these pesky Subarus were not so durable!