Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

OT: Any allroaders want to help solve a little mystery?

Old 11-24-2001, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Any allroaders want to help solve a little mystery?

I posted this request for advice in the Off Topic board without much success, so I thought I'd try it here too. Here's the situation:

Quite a number of years ago, my mom had a vehicle that she really loved. Unfortunately, it broke down, and the cost to repair it would have made a nice down payment on another vehicle. So she left it with a mechanic whom she told me was a client of hers. She bought another car, but was never able to afford fixing the other one.

Unfortunately, she recently passed away. I'd like to be able to find and to fix that car for her, but I haven't even heard anything about it in probably a good 7 or 8 years, and I cannot remember the name of the shop it was taken to.

I ran a carfax report on it in the hope that I could at least find a salvage report, but there wasn't one. The last activity that took place on it was in 1994- a smog check. Oddly enough, my mom is still receiving registration notices from the California DMV, but evidently she had long since checked the "non-operation" status, so at least I know the registration was never transferred.

If anyone has any helpful advice to give, I'd love to hear it. My mom had a pretty tough life, and that car was one of the few luxuries she allowed herself. She always dreamed that she could one day fix that car up as her "plaything," so I feel I owe it to her at least to try to fulfill that for her.

Anyway, thanks for reading this posting.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:39 AM

Default Re: OT: Any allroaders want to help solve a little mystery?

You could try putting an ad in the local paper where the shop was, explaining why you want the car and the details of the car.

If the mechanic was a client of your Mom's, maybe they still have records where she worked that you can look up and make a match?

Good luck on your search!!!
Old 11-24-2001, 06:50 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...solve a little mystery?

It also might generate more ideas if you told us about the car. What is it? HPH
Old 11-24-2001, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the advice!

It's a gray, 1981 Mercedes SL. Unfortunately, I don't remember too much else about it.
Old 11-24-2001, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the title to it? If so you could ask to see if your state MV Dept could help.