Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

OT but car related and I want you folks experience not the OT folks:( re:selling a car online...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT but car related and I want you folks experience not the OT folks:( re:selling a car online...

Who have you used? What was your experience? Any pointers/tips/things to be watchful about? I am trying to sell my daughter's hot rod (yes a '95 Formula Firebird and not having much local luck due to depressed economy in local area and just wondered what anyone's experiences have been online. TIA
Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I wrote a book on this topic at some point on this site...

You can search this topic. Craigslist.org worked very well for me if your in a metro area - you can post in surrounding cities as well using different emails. Ebay will get you some attention, if the car is under 15K ebay works well. I have done it all and craigslist.org and sites related to the car (like audi - audiworld, saab - saabnet) have worked best for me. I have heard others that have been happy with autotrader as well, but I never bothered with it.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Thanks for this info but I am pretty good with the search and I don't find anything else under

online, Ebay or anything else on allroad forum with your uid...
Old 06-03-2006, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm...

must have posted the book on Saabnet where I spent many years haunting. The search on that site is weak and I couldn't find it there either.

Here is another thought if its doable - put the car on consignment at a dealer that makes sense for the make/model. Long time ago I did this with a honda and placed it at a honda dealer and it sold within a month. I told them what I wanted for it - anything above that was theirs. If it went below my amt I paid them 350 for their services (they had to get my permission for price acceptance first). Got what I wanted for it.

If your selling online lots of pictures and a good website is very helpful. My webserver died a year ago, but I used that and the misplacedyankee domain to host details of all my cars and linked it off many sites.

Long distance transactions can be tricky. I have a few templates I made for bill of sale and receipts prior to shipping. Make sure the check clears I used to buy and sell cars all the time. Email me if you want the templates.

Is the car a collectors or are you just trying to unload it? There are those places that will pay cash for the car and you can waste your time going used car dealer to dealer and get the best deal.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Thanks for additional info....

I am just thinking through all the options and I appreciate your input...it really isn't a collector per se but in the right place it will at least bring close to book value and I just wondered what peoples' thoughts were.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 PM

Default My AutoTrader experience sucked.

Tried to sell an '03 Saab 9-5 wagon with only 17,000 miles. Posted great pics with it too. In 3 weeks I got NO legitimate contacts, just a BUNCH of scammers with the same line, "I have an overseas client who is interested in your car, BUT, I have to send you a check for more than the value of the car and you will have to return the difference to me before my agent can collect the car for shipment." I can't tell you how many of these a__holes contacted me, if I didn't know better I would have thought you couldn't buy a Saab outside of the USA.
I'll also add, even if you pay for the most expensive ad, your ad will be BEHIND the ads of every car dealer(a LOT of them advertise there) selling a similar car. Everytime I would search my own ad, it was buried, unless I searched ONLY my zip, then it would show up on the first page, probably because I live in a rural area. I would suspect that if you live in a big city your ad would still be buried.
Sorry if that sounds more like a rant, but thats my experience. As for a suggestion, try to find a forum like this one for that car and try to sell it through there. You should have no problem finding a Pontiac or Firebird forum. I'm a big fan of GTOs myself, not the new ones though, they really screwed that up! Good luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've bought and sold on Ebay....

And each transaction was paineless. Money came in via wire, no prolems.

We also sold the EVO via Autotrader to a GI coming home from the mideast. Also painless. He bought it a month ago and is first seeing it when he picks it up next week.

Each time paying or getting what we planned. And all sellers and buyers were an easy 500 miles away..minimum.

If you describe it 100% with lots of pictures, you usually get what you want.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 AM

Thanks all....this is what I wanted the pros/cons...just leary of the web even being a tech geek