AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Outback 2.5XT vs. Audi allroad 2.7T vs. BMW X3 3.0 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/outback-2-5xt-vs-audi-allroad-2-7t-vs-bmw-x3-3-0-a-2804929/)

sayemthree 04-27-2011 11:55 AM

Outback 2.5XT vs. Audi allroad 2.7T vs. BMW X3 3.0

Outback 2.5XT vs. Audi allroad 2.7T vs. BMW X3 3.0

I need a third car to drive off road 10 or 12 times per year. It’s a dirt road and requires crossing at least two streams. One stream is full of boulders and can flow 12 inches deep for 20 to 30 yards. The other stream is very small but is deep requiring a sharp angle of approach. I have narrowed it down to these three. Oh yeah, AWD, some storage space in the back and a manual transmission is required.

Hoping to get something used in the $15,000 range, under 80 to 100,000 miles.

Outback 2.5XT – lower clearance, possible dependability issues, car like stance, good storage decent options. Haven’t driven one yet though. I hear they are $$ to maintain used. I could also go with the base model but it lacks options and HP.

Audi allroad 2.7T – adjustable clearance for car like handling and off road. Air bags and turbo expensive to replace. Gas mileage is reported low. Costs to maintain , hard to find a good one used. Large storage space, very good luxury options available. The 4.2 is very nice but only has a AT and sucks gas.

BMW X3 – highest ground clearance, smallest storage compartment, higher prices, better dependability, lower maint costs, most truck like. Decent gas mileage. 250 hp without a turbo.

What do you think?

Mike B 04-27-2011 01:11 PM

First let me say that I am an Audi bigot.
I'm not sure what you mean by
"The $.2 is very nice but only has a AT and sucks gas"; allroad's are definitely available with manual gearboxes. Some have even converted their allroad's to manual from auto. I'm not suggesting that it is necessarily an option. Their gas mileage is lower than a Subie's, but you get much higher performance in return.
Being a German luxury car, the allroad (like all Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes') is expensive to maintain after warranty,
Yes, if you blow our turbo's, the repair will be costly. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Subie is turbocharged too. Also, the BMW doesn't (currently) offer a manual gearbox. I don't know if they did in the past, probably not in the US.
You can find good used allroad's with manual gearboxes. If you are having trouble there is a member of QW named BruceM who buys good examples wholesale for forum members.
But then again, I'm an Audi bigot.
:)

sayemthree 04-27-2011 03:59 PM

$.2 is code speak (or typo ) for the 4.2 liter v8. what I meant is the V8 allroad only has an AT and drinks a lot of gas.

I am a big Audi / VW fan too. I also love BMW's.

The Subie seems like a decent alternative to the allroad and gets good mpg and doesnt have the expensive air suspension.

the outback 2.5XT has a turbo and 250 HP and weighs 3200 pounds. Its also avail with a non turbo at 170 hp.

all X3's from 2004 to 2010 came with an optional MT. many were special order and like the allroad the MT is harder to find.

09mehashaw 04-27-2011 05:58 PM

Expenses

What is your biggest concern?
Price for repair? -Subaru is winner
allroad rarity? -AR is winner
Over All Ground Clearance? -X3 is winner
MPG is better on the Subaru and Subaru's are easily modable and though they aren't super reliable, they sure beat out the allroad.

MYD-WGN 04-28-2011 04:09 AM

In the $15k range you can get a V8 allroad which is less hassle then a v6.Also a VW TReg with air suspension will trump all with almost 12 inches of ground clearence.Splurge for a V10 tdi and you have a real animal.

all(over)road 04-28-2011 06:46 AM

Used Mercedes Gelandewagens (pre-02') are 15 grand now...that is what you want. 8-)

I want one too. Yes, you can find them with manuals also...hard tho like worse than finding a 6 speed ar.

MYD-WGN 04-28-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by all(over)road (Post 24137192)
Used Mercedes Gelandewagens (pre-02') are 15 grand now...that is what you want. 8-)

I want one too. Yes, you can find them with manuals also...hard tho like worse than finding a 6 speed ar.

I want a diesel one.If I had a shop I would do a diesel conversion on one

sayemthree 04-28-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN (Post 24137156)
In the $15k range you can get a V8 allroad which is less hassle then a v6.Also a VW TReg with air suspension will trump all with almost 12 inches of ground clearence.Splurge for a V10 tdi and you have a real animal.

looked at these both - liked them both. but they dont come with a MT

MYD-WGN 04-28-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by sayemthree (Post 24137267)
looked at these both - liked them both. but they dont come with a MT

I understand but the torque of the V8 allroad makes for great driving and the mpg is pretty close to the V6.Less maintenance and better at and brakes

sayemthree 04-28-2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN (Post 24137301)
I understand but the torque of the V8 allroad makes for great driving and the mpg is pretty close to the V6.Less maintenance and better at and brakes

I agree. however the gas mileage is a big downside. esp with gas appraoching $5 per gallon. :(