Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Paging Arob...

Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Arob...

Your opinion on these adapters please:

Spoke to Crutchfield today about the Sirius Starbase unit. Talked about adapters for the FM relay switch.

He said that one adapter will get the car's FM antenna into the Sirius FM relay switch and the other adapter will get the FM relay switch back into the Symphony II head unit. Haven't spoken to PIE yet. May call today.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ORQbZG63wP9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=12040vw54&amp;i=12040VW54">htt p://www.crutchfield.com/S-ORQbZG63wP9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=12040vw54&amp;i=12040VW54</a</li></ul>
Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Second adapter...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ORQbZG63wP9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=12040vw21&amp;i=12040VW21">htt p://www.crutchfield.com/S-ORQbZG63wP9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=12040vw21&amp;i=12040VW21</a</li></ul>
Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ugh...(puts on flame suit)

I had the Sirius S50 installed over the weekend, and it actually ended up being a Blitzsafe adapter that was used for her install.

The Blitzsafe was what was actually used in the allroad install back then as well (I just pulled it out of my junk box and asked the shop to see if it would work in the Passat, and it did). This adapter has 2 RCA connectors, along with the BS "box". They wouldn't let me stick around the shop during the install, but he did show where it was run: adapter was run to the back of the trunk, where it hooked up to the existing CD changer pre-wire, then RCAs run to the back of the head unit (Monsoon, I believe). I don't think it had anything to do with the antenna though.

I still have the box at home, and I'll pull the part number of the adapter. Many apologies about the misinforming - the pie adapter was used for the CD changer install in the allroad. I had to go with Blitzsafe when installing the Starbase unit. I just realized this over the weekend when getting the S50 installed into the Passat.

Rob
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default from reading the Starbase install instrucitons...

I was under the impression that the FM relay that comes with the starbase accepts the car's FM antenna and then a cable is run from the FM relay to the back of the head unit where the FM antenna was. Didn't know the CD came into play.

I know you're not a car audio installer, but I thought I'd pick your brain for your experiences.

How does your wife like the S50? I returned mine becasue I have an ipod...but it was a tough decision...what a good lookin' unit.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You are doing FM Modulation with that set up...

This is different than the FM Transmitter which allows you to change frequencies. With FM Transmitter (Starmate) no hard wire to the antenna port is needed.

If you are doing wiring then going into the audio feed input of ther CD plug (blitzsafe, PIE, etc.)is a better way, it is a clearer and cleaner sound than FM Mod or FM Trans.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I think I just won brownie points for the S50, because when I returned from having it

installed on Saturday afternoon, the allroad sat in the garage the rest of the weekend. She actually sat in the car and read the manual for the first half of the Redskins/Bucs game, then joined me at my buddy's house during halftime.

The graphics are nice, it's got a neat little "start up" sound thingy (think PS2 start up sound), and it's got a woman's voice that announces each channel as you browse. Pretty neat - I just need to order the correct bracket from pro-fit (www.pro-fit-intl.com), because the shop was out of stock and didn't realize it. Cheaper / quicker for me to order online and do that myself (which I'm pretty sure I can handle - I just like to blame someone else if something gets messed up). Other than that, I like, she loves, and we've got Sirius in both cars now. That doesn't get me out of taking my car down to the Outer Banks every year though. )

Oh, and the antenna was run on the far right side corner of the dash. No reception problems from there.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would like to hard wire it for the best sound possible...

I'll check for adapters to go from the FM relay into the CD plug...I thought it went into the antenna plug...my mistake.

How has your Starmate worked in the NY/NJ area with all of the FM stations around. I heard that can be a problem...finding a clean station.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Steve, this is what I had in the allroad

I actually had the Pie box instead of the Blitzsafe box, but was able to pull up my invoice for the install.

I paid 80.00 for mine. Hope this helps, and good luck.<ul><li><a href="http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_instructions/instructions_2004/AUDI_AUX_DMX_V.1.htm">this adapter right here</a></li></ul>
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. I took a trip down to NC from VA in my friend's truck who didn't have his hardwired, and

1. It sounded "okay"
2. He would have to change freq's every 30 minutes. Irritating.

When I did the '01 hardwire install, I let him listen to it, and he even agreed that the quality was much better.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had to change freq. yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paging Arob...