Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Pilot Sport A/S Tire Dilemna / Need your thoughts.....(long)....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pilot Sport A/S Tire Dilemna / Need your thoughts.....(long)....

I've been running the Pilot Sport A/S's since they first came out a couple of years ago. First on my A6 and now on the allroad (in two different sizes).

All three sets on both cars caused the same problem- the rear hops to the right on bumps. Never realized how bad it was until I mounted new snows back at the beginning of the winter. Lo and behold- no hop to the right. And I've heard from a few others that they have the same problem.

I mentioned in a posting a month or so ago that a tech guy at Michelin attributed this to the low rolling resistance of the tire which would accentuate any problems in a car. He basicaly told me that the tire was better technology than the car and there was nothing he could recommend but live with it.

Well, I shot an email to Michelin last week suggesting that I wasn't looking forward to putting my $800 tires back on my $45K car only to have to deal with the problem again. I promptly received a call from someone at Michelin who said they were seeing this issue with certain Audi and Mercedes cars. She went on to say that the best thing to do is for Michelin to put me in a different tire.

Problem- Michelin and BFG (owned by Michelin) don't make another tire in our size. She is willing to put me in any other tire at no cost to me. I even suggested that I could run the snows a few months longer if the Sport PS2 would be coming in additional sizes in the near future but no such luck.

I could take this opportunity to go to 18's (245/45-18) but have two problems with that- 1) still no correct size and 2) I just bought a set of 17" wheels. I guess I could try to resell the 17s if that's the way to go.

Help!! What should I do? Don't need all season any more since I'll be running the Semperit snows, but I do want a tire that offers good wet traction and is quiet. Too much highway trip time with the family to put up with a noisy tire.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a Falken zealot now...

.. and am doing my best to convert more folks.

They're a great 3-season tire that CAN be used lightly as all season (As I do), but do not suffer as a result.

Do a quick board search for Falken, and see what we all have to say 'bout 'em. I think you will be very pleased with this choice. I know that I have been exceptionally impressed (and this is coming from a guy who used to put $1,000 worth of tires on an $80,000 car).

And, at the price, I think they are simply unbeatable.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:30 AM

Default It's hard to pass up free tires, so I'd check to see if you can find a different size...

...that has the same overall revs/mile or diameter. If you can't find a decent summer tire, or a/s tire, then consider getting a spare set of winter tires. Michelin makes a lot of tires so you probably can find something. Check the tirerack &amp; michelin website for ideas.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com">Tirerack</a></li></ul>
Old 03-24-2004, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What 18's do you have.. I may be interested..

If I can find the scratch....
Old 03-24-2004, 07:50 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't notice the hopping problem...

...but I am thinking about alternatives when my current set of PS A/Ss wear out. They're already getting noisy (like the first set did).

BFG makes those H-rated tires with colored stripes in 245/50-17. Maybe the red one would accentuate your silver car. Oh, never mind.

I guess I agree with the previous comment: get a spare set of Pilot Sport Alpins (stock size) for winter, and go look at other brands. Both the Dunlop S5000 and the Pirelli PZero have been getting good comments as summer tires. HPH
Old 03-24-2004, 08:27 AM

Default I've been on both the Michelin and BFG sites as well as Tirerack...

so see if there's anything out there. To no avail.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:29 AM

Default 17's not 18's.... I picked up a set of 17 x 8 wheels to mount my current Sport A/S on....

for summer. If I go to 18's, I'd need to sell the 17's and buy a set of 18's. Not that I mind doing that, but just more complicated (and more $$) than originally planned.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Great suggestion, but...

I just bought my current Semperit snows and they have less than 3000 miles on them. I suppose I could ask for a set of other tires and just sell them.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so which 17's do you have?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:39 AM

Default My tire store's suggestion....Goodyear F1 GS-D3......

Get Michelin to give me 4 new Pilot or PS2's in a popular size, then effectively trade them toward a set of 245/45-18 Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Now if I could just make my wheels into 18's.......

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport A/S Tire Dilemna / Need your thoughts.....(long)....