Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Plz help with my suspension problems

Old 08-18-2017, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz help with my suspension problems

OK I'm a newbie so plz go slow on replies ☺️
But seriously I have some problems I'm hoping you guys can help me with,
I purchased my allroader only the other day, suspension seemed fine, now drivers side front and back are stuck on what I think looks like lvl 4 the bags are solid, I can't get that side down at all, the passenger side back and front seems to work, but driving is a nightmare, cars all over the place,
Any more info you guys need
Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whizzer123
OK I'm a newbie so plz go slow on replies ☺️
But seriously I have some problems I'm hoping you guys can help me with,
I purchased my allroader only the other day, suspension seemed fine, now drivers side front and back are stuck on what I think looks like lvl 4 the bags are solid, I can't get that side down at all, the passenger side back and front seems to work, but driving is a nightmare, cars all over the place,
Any more info you guys need
I've been with allroad for several years now, I've never heard of such a thing. First guess: Valves block are blocked. This unit is located under the vehicle in the spare wheel area.
Remember, each time you lifting the car with a Jack or lift your veicle or Dealing with the air suspension system. The vehicle must be in "jack mode"! To put the vehicle in jack mode You have to push the two buttons UP and down together for about five seconds
Attached Thumbnails Plz help with my suspension problems-compressor-dryer.jpg   Plz help with my suspension problems-air-system.png   Plz help with my suspension problems-valve-block.png  

Last edited by amiram; 08-18-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could check the levelling switches are still plugged in and attached to the suspension arms. Under each corner you will find a small black levelling switch with a plastic arm attached to the lower suspension . You can check they are all still connected and the metal clip on the plastic arm is still connected. You can even swap the switches around, the arms and the little mounting bracket are different left to right but the levelling switch is actually the same.
You can also note the front left and back right have 4 wires, the others 3 wires, the auto headlight levelling uses these switches as well to change the headlight angle based on the car height.
Remember to put the air system into jack mode as admiral describes before you start. If you can get hold of a VCDS you can reset all the levels, there's a write up on this site called 402mod which provides a step by step guide.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amiram
I've been with allroad for several years now, I've never heard of such a thing. First guess: Valves block are blocked. This unit is located under the vehicle in the spare wheel area.
Remember, each time you lifting the car with a Jack or lift your veicle or Dealing with the air suspension system. The vehicle must be in "jack mode"! To put the vehicle in jack mode You have to push the two buttons UP and down together for about five seconds
Hi be thanks for the replying, I have already taken her to get plugged in but guy said he can't connect to car, so I'm sort of stuck, I read the manual about the jacking up mode and I done the push button when I had the wheels off to have. The lvl sensor on the stuck sides are what I q guessing as fully extended,? Should I pop them off and give them a wiggle I pulled the sensor plugs and wd40 them,
Also was going to let the air out of the stuck side and see what happens,
Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stuck side
Old 08-19-2017, 01:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Normal side , well i say normal , front looks a little down
Old 08-19-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes you can try that, it won't do any harm.
Inside the sensors is just a magnetic wheel, as the plastic sensor arm moves up and down the magnet moves and provides feedback to tell the control module what level the suspension is at. I have put the suspension in lift mode, then unplugged and removed them. If you take the left and swap with the right the mounting bracket and arm needs to be kept on the original side but the level switches can be swapped if you want to check if they are working. These switches are really expensive so you want to check before buying a new one. You can also swap front to back. It could be just one sensor is broken and the other is trying to auto level.
To let the air out the air line nut at the top of the air bag can be undone. Remember when you let the air out the suspension will drop, the jack mode has no effect so safety first, make sure you put jacks or blocks under the sill jacking points so the car does not drop on you. Give the air line nut a spray with wd40 or similar first, it has a very fine thread so you don't want to get dirt in the thread when tightening. When you turn the ignition back on and disengage jack mode you should hear the air compressor pumping under the back spare wheel, the light on the level switch will flash while the compressor is running.
If these simple checks don't work you really need a scan with a VAG capable scanner. A generic scanner will not pick up the other control modules, just the basic engine faults. There are a few on the market, I use the VCDS from Ross Tech because it's a scan and can do operational changes like resetting the suspension but it's not cheap. Selecting which is the best scanner if you decide to purchase one is a whole other topic, check for threads and comments on this site, numerous opinions and options.
Remember safety first when you let the air out the car will drop in that corner, take precautions.

Last edited by John535is; 08-19-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: More information
Old 08-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your response, much appreciated,
So I went ahead and jacked her up this morning, I released the air from the stuck up side, put it all back together, started the car, went for a quick drive around, did get up over 30, though happy days,
But on way to dropping kid home sane **** happened, drivers side both bags as hard as a rock like it's not being evenly distributed to all 4 corners, the ride in car was awful, passengers side was a low as hell, lights on dash said lvl 2 but it was no were near that, anyway I got home and went to jack her up again so I pushed the 2 buttons to put her in jack mode, only when I realised when I was underneath and squeezed the passenger side bag they were completely deflated, so what I'm thinking is, the cars trying to pump up passageers side but it's all going into drivers side. But why isn't the drivers side dumping the air at all, I have been searching for valve block issues on forums but not sure my problem is that,
Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Diagnosing problems with the valve block and suspension module will be difficult without access to error codes. Without a scan the only other thing I can think to do is try swapping the level sensors to see if the problem changes. It's actually pretty simple, from memory there is 3 10mm bolts on each side, unclip the connector can be done gently with a small screwdriver, change the mounts over and reconnect. This won't cost you anything but an hour or so otherwise it's time to spend some money and either get a VAG scan done or buy a scanner to check for error codes with the valve block & suspension module.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Repair this vehicle with a Method of "Guessings" can cost a lot of money! You must scan the fault codes in the air spring system

Last edited by amiram; 08-21-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plz help with my suspension problems