Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Poll: Have you chipped your Allroad.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Have you chipped your Allroad.....

I am considering an Allroad (2004) for my wife, and I was just curious on how many of you chipped, and if do I need to....

Thanx.....
Old 02-02-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Better Question, Who here isn't chipped?

And if you need to, is a personal preference.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:59 PM

Not yet...but very, very soooon. 8^)
Old 02-02-2003, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes I have...........yes you need to.........
Old 02-02-2003, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default At 3k mi, I'm considering it but...

I have to find a source for a spare ecu for a 2002 chastity belted allroad. And it's a tip, so I'm going to get the tip chip.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:16 PM

Yes APR tastes great less filling.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Poll: Have you chipped your Allroad.....

I have a 2003 6spd allroad -- have previously chipped a TT 1.8T engine (MTM chip) -- found it a very enjoyable upgrade.

I had an 01 A6 4.2 with sport package ( previously had an 00 A6 4.2 and a 97 A8 -- also 4.2 ).

I thought certainly I would NEED a chip to get the excitement, performance, etc. that I had remembered when I had a 95 S6 (which until my allroad was probably my all time favorite Audi).

Having been loaned 01 and 02 S4's when my car was in for maintenance, I lusted for that S4 feel. No way an allroad could even come close -- I was convinced.

Now, 4 months and shy of 5K miles on an allroad -- with a 6spd, I must again point out -- I am interested in a chip+BPV's. But, the heck of it is, when my allroad is in for service I often am given the opportunity to spend the day in an A6 4.2 or an A4 3.0 (they never provide S6's though).

You know what? If I had a tip allroad, well I guess I would be far more certain of the need for a chip. The mfg difference between the tip and non tip is .6 seconds. If you have a chipped version, you should be able to cut off .5 seconds -- depending on the "stage of the chip" and some other things you might do, of course.

My point is that if you mildly chip a tip allroad it gets to be about as "interesting" as a non-chipped 6spd. Moreover, the so called tip-lag -- it does not exist with the 6spd.

Plus -- the 6spd provides more control of the engine's sweet spot, more fun (assuming that matters to you) driving and an overall broader performance driving capability (and if you don't use it regularly, it is at least comforting to know that it is there when you need it).

All the folks here seem to be quite capable of desribing the the "drive by wire" and other root causes of what is termed "lag" by those of us who can tell when we push the accelerator only to get a split second hesitation.

My point? Save your money, buy an allroad with a 6spd -- it starts out as less money than a tip, performs about the same as a chipped tip version (which even after chipping may still have tip lag) and it is more "agreeable" and satisfying to drive.

After FOUR automatic Audis in a row, I can only conclude that as good as the tip may be for some, it is not the transmission of choice (at this moment) in the allroad if you really want to have some performance in "factory tune."

Now, I took the 02 S6 out for a drive -- it beats me what they did to the transmission (or maybe it is the final drive ratio) but it is as if it was a radically different unit.

So, if you want performance from the allroad -- first off, start with the 6spd. I can only imagine that chipping a 6spd (and adding the aftermarket BPV's and bi-pipe), doing the 402 mod and going to higher performance tires or tires and wheels could get you a heck of a performance boost -- almost an "S6 lite!"

If you start with the tip version, you probably have to do more (and pay more) just to get it to be able to pass up the stock 2.7T with 6spd equipped allroad.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:06 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes: it really turns this cruiser into a rocket sled.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default very very good writeup...

After driving the 6 spd for a couple of days, I have to say I'm impressed by the "punch" it has. My last car was a '99 1.8T w/ APR's program. That was a fun car to drive esp once the boost came on. Not really fast but quick enough.

I was thinking the allroad although having the 2.7T and 250 hp was going to be a bit slow due to it's weight and size. I was fully planning on a APR chip right at 5000 miles or so. But I think I may just go with an axhaust. The chasity belt of the '03s is a bit worrisome as well.

BTW, the dealer mentioned that the 6 spd allroads where much faster than the Tips. I thought he was kinda blowing smoke up my *** to make me feel good about the buy. I guess he was actually being honest.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default still on the fence after 25K miles, mainly warrenty concerns, but ...

more torque in the under 4k rpm range would be nice. Thanks, markcincinnati, for your chip'ing insights.

Quick Reply: Poll: Have you chipped your Allroad.....