Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

POLL: Who has done the K04 mod on their allroad, particularly with a Tip?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: Who has done the K04 mod on their allroad, particularly with a Tip?????

The reason I ask, based on previous posts, it appears that I maybe the first ar Tip (in the US anyway) to do this. Definetly untrodden territory for me 8^O. Just want to make sure that I pay closer attention to details for those who may follow. And I will keep all posted on progress and any problems.

BTW, the order was finalized today, so hopefully by the end of the week or beginning of the next, I will have my baby back (I feel the need for speed).
Old 04-13-2003, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one I believe... may the force be with you.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:02 PM

Thank you from humble padawin learner..8^)
Old 04-13-2003, 04:15 PM

Who's doing the work and what did they quote you for labor?
Old 04-13-2003, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You only have to worry about your tranny, but I don't believe you are taking everything into

account.

The allroad has even smaller DP's then the A6, very restrictive, going to produce a lot of heat and being right next to the turbos, that's not good. Then the exhaust, again a large restriction. At least remove your ressonator.

There are other issues with this that you need to be aware of.

Also the Tip tranny is not cheap!! $6-$10K, and it would cost $10K to have level 10 build it so that it could take the real power of thw K04's..

Tory
Old 04-13-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Who's doing the work and what did they quote you for labor?

The dealer from whom I bought and have had all the services done. They say that the work will take 15 hours (they are dropping the trans as opposed to pulling the engine, which is more labor intensive). The cost is $80 hour which is what another dealer quoted.

While the trans is out, I am thinking about having them take a quick look at it. It has not caused me problems yet (knock on wood) but is something that has been kinda nagging me.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You the man! We other tipies are watching and hoping!
Old 04-13-2003, 06:28 PM

Default The tranny was my main concern for this mod due to other

vendors not wanting to touch a Tip. The O.CT chip won't push the turbos to their full potential just yet. With the redesigned vanes, stronger housing, etc, they will run cooler, be less affect by outside heat sources and torque levels should still be within the Tip tolerances. The heat generated should be comparable (if not cooler) to what the K03's generate and should not cause any additional problems due to the DP's. The potential problems with a restrictive exhaust are easily fixed if they do cause me problems.

Stratmosphere took down what I have and have not done mod wise. The DP's were one specific area Bob asked about, along with air filter, Cat Backs, BPV's, etc. This info is being passed onto O.CT who will supply the ECM/TCM software.

I am also aware of level 10. Ming 2.7T brought it up in our conversations.

All in all, I feel confident that this initial step will go good. We will all find out soon enough if something was missed (guess that is the fun part of being a guinea pig) 8^)
Old 04-13-2003, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check Ming2.7T on A6 board...

He's had a lot of experience with this, and has had great luck with his O.CT programming. Apparently, they made a milder program for him -- one that has some features specifically to keep the TIP happy.

BTW, he's run a 13.6 1/4 and tracks his car all the time!

There is more to this than just the tranny, but your concern is healthy. From what I understand, it is less tolerant of dramatic torque increases than the 6-speed.

It is good that you are concerned, and it is even better that others have been there before you!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-13-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Thanks, Ming2.7T and I have been in touch with each other.

He is part of the reason why I decided to do the mod instead of replacing with stock turbos. O.CT should have my information tomorrow and once Stratmosphere has my ECM/TCM's, that info too. Takes about a day to do it up and get it back to Stratmosphere.

Quick Reply: POLL: Who has done the K04 mod on their allroad, particularly with a Tip?????