Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

question for dog owners...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for dog owners...

I've been on a waiting list for over a year to purchase a german shepherd from one of the top kennels in US. pups should be born sometime in late april and will be available for pick up in june. One week ago we found out that my wife is pregnant. So here is the delama, I really want that dog but don't know if it is safe to get one while she is pregnant. She says she'll be ok with it as long as doctor approves it, our appointment is in 20 days. please advise.

thanks.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you have been on a list for a year, what kind of research did you do?!?!?!

it's Shep"H"erd as in herding dog. Come on people, if your looking at acquiring a specific breed, pay top dollar, you should do your research on the breed and the various breeders and reps in your area. There are many fantastic German Shepherd forums on the net.

Also there is no issue with a puppy or a dog. The wife cannot touch or change kitty litter while she is pregnant however!! But a puppy is not a concern, however!!!!!!

A new baby if it's your first and a new puppy at the same time is a recipe for disaster, your wife and newborn are going to need as much attention as a puppy would. My suggestion, get the puppy 2-3 months before having the baby or 2-3 months after the baby comes, takes a bit for you to get on a schedule, lots of babies start sleeping thru the night at 2 months, so you won't be getting up for the baby, but then you would be getting up for the puppy.

Sorry to start off harsh but It's important that you know everything about the kind of dog your getting and making sure it's the right breed for your home (I researched it over 2 years) and now have 2 mutt rescues! See how somethings go!

Tory
Old 04-02-2004, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default can't think of any problems with dogs- cats yes-maybe others can be more specific....

we had two pregnancies with 1 to 2 dogs at each, both pups and adult dogs. There is something about cats that I would have to look up to verify. I'm a Dentist and my wifes an RN so we both pay atttention to things such as you are asking. If the dog is well trained I see no problem- of course I have to tell you that you should call or talk to your OB person for their exact recomendation. (previous sentence sponsored by the ABA)

Congradulations!! Bob and Jean
Old 04-02-2004, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't get a dog!!!

and don't let your wife drive, or have a glass of wine, or eat sushi......lock her in padded room until the kid is 16!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toxoplasmosis - parasites from cat dung that cause birth defects.

Thus, I got stuck with litterbox duty for 2X gestation + nursing time. For the wife's cat that hates me (it's mutual).

Plus, cats are just a PITA. (No, really, not biased at all.)
Old 04-02-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Load of Crap NOT!!!

as I have said, we have 4 labs ranging in age from 1 1/2 to 9 yrs old. there is absolutely no health issues with having a dog while being pregnant. MY wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant and has absolutely no issues whatsoever. It has also been provin that children who grow up with dogs have a stronger immunity to allergies.

All that said, puppyhood is a challenging time and can be very trying, which may not be good for your wife depending on how far along she is. Also the care of a dog requires attention and training which also may not be the appropriate timing. You want a well behaved animal when the baby arrives so it is one less thing you have to contend with.

Are you getting the sheppard from the Monk of New Skeet? I think their waiting list is at least a year if not longer. good luck with the baby and the puppy.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:42 PM

Default I think your biggest concern is

handling a puppy and baby at the same time. We got the dog first. I have a 5 year old yellow lab - got him as a pup. I also have 3 1/2 yr old and 22 month old daughters. I'm not sure what you think the risk is but we had no issues.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default that 's what she is concerned about, taxoplasmosis...

do dogs have it too?
Old 04-02-2004, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol, lol, lol
Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Load of Crap NOT!!!

frend of hers said that if we would have a dog before her pregnancy she'd be ok and her immune system would adapt to whater sicknesses dog may have, but since she is getting a dog while pregnant might create a health problem for the baby.

Quick Reply: question for dog owners...