Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Question for those with APR chips....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with APR chips....

I am planning on installing a 2 program APR stage 1 chip at the end of the month. I have a 2001 tip. I was wondering what type performance gains you all have experienced, I know there are gains, 307hp and 366lb-ft, but I want to know what real consumers have experienced in hard acceleration off the line and highway passing accelation. I am also curious as to what you found in mpg changes with conservative driving. Does anyone know if the program removes the electronic top speed limit, and what the new top speed would be? A friend guessed 150+, but not sure if I believe that. Not that I ever drive that fast, but it might be nice to know for bragging rights. TIA.

Cheers
jon
Old 02-04-2004, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love my new chip....

see my post on it from Monday.

+++++++++++++
Damn... I hate to give APR kudos..especially when they wouldn't RAINCHECK me on the xmass sale, because my chip wasn't made at that time. but.....

The chip is great...

For those of you who drive 4 barrel carb v8's in the 70's.... you can all relate.. Its the same feeling... you have power on tap all the time.. and just like your olds, pontiac, chevy or ford, when you floored it..after the downshift happened, you would feel the carb's secondaries open up...and whoosh!!! The car would fly like a bat out of hell.

The New APR chip for the S and R ECUed allroads does the same thing...in spades...and you don't have to floor it...it comes on earlier but still controlable.

Do I dare say RS6-AVANT.. a new creature is born... and its as TAME as a kitty and as powerfull as a lion.

DYNOBUTT....level road.. stock ECU in 6th...floor the ar and it takes me 3.5 secs to go from 70-80.... Then with the chip..the deed is done in 2.5

The low end GRUNT at 1500-2000 without Tubo boost is vastly improved...I can lug though ez pass (toll) in third and continue the exceleration with no further down shifting needed.

Now the good news.

I drove from East Meadow, NY to West Hartford CT...(my son was accepted to U of Harford...tour time) One tank round trip... highway speeds were varried from 55- 80- MPH, plus town 30 mph speeds. The trip up..sonny boy drove... (remeber 101 in a 55?) V1 on the dash. He kept the speed to 70 in a 65..OK! On the trip back I got to enjoy the car.. 80 MPH cames up even faster than ever, without flooring the car.

The trip computer showed 22.7 when I got home and filled up the next day. As usual the computer was off a bit and my math worked it at 20.5 MPG...

My normal commute to NJ gives me a computer of 20.5... I'll see what the week brings.

So far...I love the chip and the ability to switch to the stock program.

By thw way, APR technology...when the car is hooked to a VAG...the ECU reads the exact same id #'s as if it were the stock chip. The dealer can't tell the diff, unless they drive it, in chipped mode.. or the open the box. Which they don't unless they have a specific reason to..

If any of you 03-04 ar owners plan to chip..then you must do the oxy sensor recall first, because the recall reflashes your ecu, which can't be done with any other chip in place.. then you are blown..

By the way.. the surgeon at RAPID AUTO in Monsey NY was a girl named Chevy.... My Audi is powered by the work of a Chevy? ..go figure.

So.. what if inside the plastic ECU box I put a 50.00 bill in with a note.and it says...Go No Further?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 AM

Perfect...that is what I was looking for...sorry I missed your earlier post
Old 02-04-2004, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Perfect...that is what I was looking for...sorry I missed your earlier post

no sweat.. you may want to look at the GIAC TIP chip too. This is a simple one that goes into the TIP computer under the front passenger's feet. It speeds up the shifts and sets the shift pattern for more performance as opposed to economy and soft shift of the present program.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default had my apr chip for about 9 months and love it. I have an 01 6speed and thought I would run it in

stock mode most of the time to get better gas milage but as it turns out the milage is better in the performance mode (18-19mpg in city vs. 17-18mpg stock in city. The allroad drives so much better in the performance mode. It really feels like it has two turbos now. I never put it back iin stock mode.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I can actually hear the turbos now too...
Old 02-04-2004, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default chip was great.....nice boost in midrange..........

unfortunately I got the dreaded "APR" non-erasable ecu code and had to have the chip removed and get the ecu replaced. Now the chip sits as I don't want to risk the new ecu. APR assures me that DPP will not have this issue....great.....holding my breath for DPP....not.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

paulsb01: Do you have the GIAC Tip chip?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What dreaded code are you talking about?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

6 speed...

Quick Reply: Question for those with APR chips....