Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Question: what is logic behind discontinuing allroad?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: what is logic behind discontinuing allroad?!?!

I don't understand it. For the life of me. Everywhere you look, every manufacturer out there is coming out with their own [sad] version of the WSUV (wagon sport utility vehicle, to coin the phrase). There's the dumba$$ (excuse me Chrysler) Pacifica, the Cadillac thingy SRX, the Volvo's, etc. etc. Nevermind all the "concept" cars out there that reek allroad-wannabes.

Why on earth are they discontinuing it? What is the logic behind it? I haven't seen any affirmative YES that audi will be immediately replacing it with another allroad-like vehicle?!? Am I wrong? (please inform me if I am!)

Just getting upset at the thought of what I will go with car-wise after my allroad, and also upset about what discontinuing it might do the value of my car at that point.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Audi Toureg

I saw a chart somehwere here in the forums that showed it on the same platform as the VW Toureg

I'm bummed a bit as well, because the Toureg isn't big enough. We went and looked at the Volvo XC90 because we need a third row of seats. However I refuse to buy a MiniVan or a giant SUV. I want something like the allroad that we have but with a real third seat.

I like the XC90 but not overly fond of the Volvo dealership near us. They're definitely a step or two down service wise than the Audi dealerships I've worked with.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:18 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default The only place where it's being discontinued for sure...

...is here on the allroad forum.

Now, it's clear that our version of the allroad will go away, because the venerable C5 platform on which it's built (along with the various recent A6 models and the S6) is giving way next week to the C6 platform, just like the A4 transitioned from the B5 platform to the B6 a year or two ago. Also, Audi is moving away from turbocharged engines except in their RS series cars, it appears.

But to the extent that there are all the other allroad-wannabe models out there you've mentioned , Kim, and that there's a market for them, Audi has left the door open to producing an allroad-like vehicle on the new C6 platform, possibly without a significant gap in time. The S4, for example, was re-introduced on the B6 platform after only a short delay, just long enough to create the sort of buzz that marketing people like to have going.

I, for one, am somewhat amused by all the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that goes on here in the absence of any real information. After all, no matter what "insiders" say that Audi's decided, Audi is free to change its mind anytime that it sees a market niche it can go after.

But one thing I'm disappointed in is their dropping turbines. Here at 7200', they really make a difference. Credit all the tuners who chip their cars, blow their turbos, and then whine to Audi about getting warranty service for that one. HPH
Old 02-15-2004, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, part of it has to be that the platform has reached its expiration date.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It has 2 more years and then the A7/Pikes Peak will be here

and that is supposed to have 3 rows, glass roof, etc. allroad will of had a great lifespan to end as an '05 or '06
Old 02-16-2004, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rumor: Audi A7 and new Touareg will have a longer wheelbase than current Touareg.