Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Remote radar detector options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote radar detector options?

So, 6 weeks in to ownership and I've got my first ticket. Of all things, I'm about 1 mile from my house following traffic down a 2 lane road and I get picked out of the Mercedes in front of me and BMW behind me--51 in a 35. No response from the cop as to why only I got pulled over given the guy behind me was probably 10 feet of my bumper and the Mercedes in front was pulling away from me!

I guess I wouldn't be so annoyed had I been out somewhere getting on it, driving the car hard etc, but I'm literally drinking coffee and nursing the car down the road as it warms up and get nailed!!! Not happy.

So, I did a search on radar detectors and founds lots of posts on the Passport 8500 and V1 and some remote install options, but honestly, none of them look real smooth, clean etc. (No offense to those who posted pics etc--I appreciate the suggestions/offers of explanation, really).

A few cars ago I had a Bell remote system installed that had a sensor up in the front grill and a very clean little readout device that could be velcroed most anywhere--gave a very professional look. Anybody offering anything like that anymore thats worth a darn? I can't locate any Bell product like that, although I'm still looking.

Suggestions, anybody? Thanks.

PS--About 3-4 inches of fresh snow on the road this morning coming to work in Kansas City. Roads were pretty messy, lots of piles of slush, snow etc. Pulled up at a light next to a big Durango who proceeded to take off up the snowy hill so I'm like sure, lets hit this hard since it was 4 lanes wide and no traffic in front of us. Should have seen the look on his face when we stopped next to one another at the next light as he tried to figure out just what vehicle it was that was hanging right with him accelerating up a snowy (fairly steep) hill from a dead stop. He was nearly getting out of his car as he leaned over, looked back and tried to figure out what I was driving. Alright, drive safe!
Old 02-05-2004, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Any Vector LR Remote Model 975R Users?

Just found this option on Beltronics.....anybody using one/seen one? thanks

http://www.beltronics.com/vectorlrremote.html
Old 02-05-2004, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

v1, live with it.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is the install...

V1...The Toy Guy in Boston has an great stealth install for the ar and v1
http://www.toyguy.o-f.com/v1.html

He will sell you the parts and give you blow by blow instructions.. it looks pretty good.

I'm curious as to how the cop picked you out of the middle of the pack for speeding. Every radar gun works on the doppler principle...it can only read the CLOSEST vehicle to the transmitter.
Laser is direct line of sight..it has to be aimed..the cop must be stationary and it has to be a head on shot, not side ways.

Good Luck!<ul><li><a href="http://www.toyguy.o-f.com/v1.html">Toy Guy</a></li></ul>
Old 02-05-2004, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ya know...

... as much as I LOVE the V1 and it's wicked good functionality, the unit itself is an ugly hunk of aftermarket boxy nonsense that really limits the value of Toyguys *amazing* remote display mount.

And if you try the competitor route by making the packaging sexy, you don't help the fact that you still have this unstealthy thing suction cupped to the inside of your windscreen, or riding along clipped to your sunvisor - the unit needs to simply dissappear.

The alternatives that I can consider are repackaging the V1: Toyguy's displays, with the guts of the unit living in somthing akin to a super-size rearview mirror, or perhaps disguised in a faux third tailight... or a different system entirely, which is wholly designed to be stealthy.

A duel K40' setup ( http://www.k40.com ) gives plenty of stealth for install, though not sure if it can compete with the V1 for performance (a search on the web would help, I am certain, so I'll go do some reading on performance).

It all comes down to the thought that it sure would be great if Valentine decided to put together a stealth install package like K40.

(Either that or I'm gunna havta break down and go buy a big a$$ military surplus ECM pod and strap it down to the roofrack like a Thulepod.)

-Rhumble
01 allroad
98 VFR<ul><li><a href="http://www.k40.com">K-40</a></li></ul>
Old 02-05-2004, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ULTIMATE V1 HIDDEN INSTALL

Folks - check this link out http://www.vb.quik.com/jmciver/pages/v1.htm
http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHomepage/Radar/RadarLove.html

It talks about a hidden mirror install - for a product called the InV1si-Mirror - its basically a Vi display integrated into the rear view mirror - no one that I know of has done this for an audi - but the mirrors look similar and it is the best solution I have seen to date.
Thoughts anyone on how this can be done?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks, I will take a look...

As for how I got picked out, I hear you. Not sure and I did some asking and he was pretty much a jacka## about it so I left it alone. I'm an attorney so I can get it fixed, no problem, just the hassle factor and I figured if I kept hassling him it would only get worse. Maybe I just had the "baddest" looking car in the line of traffic so I had to be going the fastest.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My son has the baddest..

and he gets picked out tooooooooo much. (2002 GGT-337, black windows...)
I feel your pain!!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, but...

that's not even close to the ultimate install (he says, tying to pick a fight)...

Seriously, the mirror is a nice enough place for to hide a remote display, though the red lights of the display are visible to people behind you (including LEOs, who know to look for JUSt this sort of thing).

And the V1 unit itself isn't going to hide in our CHMSL very well. Nor, I suspect, will it have an effective view of the road from riding WAY in the back (try this test: go sit in the back of your car and put your eyes roughly where the V1 unit will be. Look forward to where radar waves will be approaching from. Is there anything that would stop radar waves blocking or limiting your view? ).

Shaking head... we need a better solution to hide the V1 unit, and let it still have an unimpeded view forward and aft somehow.

-Rhumble.
01 allroad
98 vfr
The V1 unit itself
Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

v1

Quick Reply: Remote radar detector options?