Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect

Hi,

on my 2004 allroad I have to replace the control arms. basically this seems to be straight forward, however I'm thinking about the upper control arms. I have only the descriptions for replacing the control arms on A6 4b models having standard springs so I'm asking how to remove the air line safely from the air spring and putting it later back on without damaging the air line and / or its connection point on the strut. Or is there an (easy) way of installing new upper control arms w/o removing the whole air spring assembly?
And are there any other differences to the standard A6 when replacing the control arms (incl. lower ones)

Regards
Bernhard
Old 11-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best way to replace the uppers is to pull the shock assembly out
also, make sure the car is on the ground before tightening the upper c-arm bolts.

to disconnect the air line, take a 10mm wrench and loosen the fitting; when putting back, put a couple wraps of teflon tape on it
Old 11-28-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not Teflon. In case of pressure leakage, the connector top seal must be replaced ( R-03 )
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the answers
Originally Posted by amiram
Not Teflon. In case of pressure leakage, the connector top seal must be replaced ( R-03 )
so a standard o ring will do the job? Seems this set includes the correct type?: http://cgi.ebay.de/263016304689
Or do I need something special here?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the teflon is for the threads, been there done that many times

your o-ring idea, while good, wont work in this instance

here is the video from arnott on changing out the airspring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBlS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default N-17 air hose connector

Originally Posted by Bernhard Dick
Hi,

on my 2004 allroad I have to replace the control arms. basically this seems to be straight forward, however I'm thinking about the upper control arms. I have only the descriptions for replacing the control arms on A6 4b models having standard springs so I'm asking how to remove the air line safely from the air spring and putting it later back on without damaging the air line and / or its connection point on the strut. Or is there an (easy) way of installing new upper control arms w/o removing the whole air spring assembly?
And are there any other differences to the standard A6 when replacing the control arms (incl. lower ones)

Regards
Bernhard
In the N-17 connector there is two sealing rings, one external R-03, creates a seal between the body and the connector the second Smaller Inner, upper Creates a seal between the air hose and the pressure connector. In most cases it is possible to clean and reuse. I use silicone grease to sift the sealing rings. It proves itself. I always close the pressure connectors just by hand. For opening should 10 mm key. You can also buy them on
eBay. The
Attached Thumbnails Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect-dsc00322.jpg   Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect-dsc00325.jpg  

Last edited by amiram; 11-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaperToast
the teflon is for the threads, been there done that many times

your o-ring idea, while good, wont work in this instance

here is the video from arnott on changing out the airspring https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBlS...ature=youtu.be
The other part that comes with the connector is a air hose lock that can move on the air hose only in one direction. Can be used again
Attached Thumbnails Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect-dsc00331.jpg   Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect-dsc00332.jpg   Replacing (upper) control arms / Air line disconnect-dsc00333.jpg  
Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amiram
The other part that comes with the connector is a air hose lock that can move on the air hose only in one direction. Can be used again
I am troubleshooting my shocks (I think the o-rings are hozed), and this air hose lock broke. Any hints on how to get (or make) one?