Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Which Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 11:01 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Roof Rack

I've finally decided to make the family Truckster a little more utilitarian by added a roof rack. The question is, which one? I think I've narrowed it down the factory unit ($206 through Clairparts.com) or the Thule 751 Rapid Railing Carrier. I like that the Thule sits low, looks "intgrated", pops on and off fairly easily and I can add virtually any accessory to it. Is the factory one better, worse or (GASP!) the same one?

I know there are a lot of different racks out there in circulation (except of course for the 751 with the brushed aluminum aero bars - dang) and a lot of opinions. Just want to know the differences so I can make an informed opinion.

John Virnig
'02 allroad Brilliant Black, 6-speed
Old 04-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Do a search and you will PLENTY of views/info...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do a search....

I searched a couple of times and found loads of info - just wanted to know if anyone knew the pros/cons of the Thule vs. the factory rack.

Lots of people rave about the Aero bars (not currently available) and the factory rack looks nice - same one? I haven't found direct comparisons and I haven't seen a factory one in person so it's hard to tell. That's my little dilema.

John Virnig
'02 allroad 6-speed
Rackless here in Waukesha, WI
Old 04-17-2003, 12:53 PM

Default If memory serves me - Thule makes the factory rack...

The VW product is specially made by Thule for VW only...That's why they are so similar.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:31 PM

Default Go for the factory bars and attachments

I have the aerobars and a friend of mine has the factory bars. They are very similar, but not the same. I do not think that the factory bars are made by thule, but instead by votex. They look a little different (more of a trapezoid instead of oval), function a little different and have different locks. See the link, there is pretty detailed pics of the factory bars. All attachments are made by thule, but I would say get it all from clair. It's a few dollars difference, but you will get all parts you need in one package.

Since the aero bars are not available any more, go for the factory bars.<ul><li><a href="http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:BmW9XXO50pgC:www.sixframes.com/roof/+votex+vw+rack&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF-8">See here</a></li></ul>
Old 04-17-2003, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Only under extenuating circumstances, would I ever buy a factory rack system...

And that would be if there was just no satisfactory aftermarket system available, due to an incredibly odd roof/factory-rack shape. Fortunately, that is not the case for 99% of the cars out there. =)

The factory system is not made by Audi, and has no special features other than it's cost. Both Thule and Yakima have been making racks for a really long time. Their products are ubiquitious, and excellent. Pick the bar shape you like best, and choose one of those. If you're near a store that carries them, you can go and stare at both to see which one gives you a warm fuzzy. =)
Old 04-17-2003, 07:37 PM

Default I just got the 751s during REI sale, now I'm after the Aerobars

Thule sale is gone, but there will be a Yakima sale in may...
Old 04-18-2003, 08:21 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default Haven't seen a picuture of the factory bars....

....but I ran across another interesting option. Anybody hear of or use Sportrack bars? Apparently they're ultra low profile and use the groove system like the Thule Aerobars and Votex systems. Few bucks more, but looks like they'll match the allroad brushed aluminum better.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:27 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default After a lengthy chat with the guys at Rack Warehouse...

....I opted for the Thule 751 Fast Fit. I don't have any other attachments at this point so that wasn't an influence, but the versatility of the rack was. I'm not your typical kayak and bicycle hauler, I'm going to putting stuff like ladders, lumber, rooftop cargo carrier and the odd sheet of plywood up there so price vs. versatility meant that 751 was the right one for me. But let me know if you ever score those Aero bars - they're sweet! jav