Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

RPM drop on highway, now intermittent starting... Fuel filter/Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM drop on highway, now intermittent starting... Fuel filter/Fuel Pump?

OK, so a couple days ago I had an RPM drop on the highway. Reminded me of a fuel filter problem I had years ago in my VW. Yesterday it won't start, turned over and started for a couple seconds and then died. Seemed like a lack of fuel and couldn't get RPM's up. Looked under the car and I see the original fuel filter, still has the factory paint mark on the bolts. I figure I need to replace that filter.

After about 20 mins or so I tried again and car started. Ran fine. This has now happened twice...

If the fuel filter is clogged does that turn off the fuel pump since there is pressure?

Is it more than just the filter and a fuel pump should be replaced?

I am not throwing any codes through VCDS
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the filter was that clogged, you would never have a "normal" running engine. It sounds more likely to be your pump.

Last edited by MrKid; 05-03-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05AudiAllroad
OK, so a couple days ago I had an RPM drop on the highway. Reminded me of a fuel filter problem I had years ago in my VW. Yesterday it won't start, turned over and started for a couple seconds and then died. Seemed like a lack of fuel and couldn't get RPM's up. Looked under the car and I see the original fuel filter, still has the factory paint mark on the bolts. I figure I need to replace that filter.

After about 20 mins or so I tried again and car started. Ran fine. This has now happened twice...

If the fuel filter is clogged does that turn off the fuel pump since there is pressure?

Is it more than just the filter and a fuel pump should be replaced?

I am not throwing any codes through VCDS
Sounds like the pump is on it's last legs. Inspection cover for fuel pump access is under rear seat on passenger side. With the cover removed you can hear if the pump is running when the vehicle is in a no start condition.

Get new pump and run tank as low as you can before replacing. Don't even try to remove the pump if fuel level over 1/4 tank.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced a fuel pump in an Allroad with at least half a tank of gas. Meant I had to get my tools/hands gassy, but no spillage. However, if you can run the engine or the pump, the more fuel you can get out, the better.

BTW, I had several intermittent no-starts before the pump finally failed for good.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My first "problem" with my Allroad

Well, after all the horror stories about everything under the sun going wrong with an C5 Audi Allroad... I officially got stranded on the side of the road and had to get it towed. So I got 7 1/2 months without any problems and something like 14,000 miles.

I finally will be replacing my fuel pump, fuel filter, and I even got a 372 relay but I don't think my relay is bad. Since the fuel filter is original equipment, I figure that put a strain on the pump. 130K and the fuel filter should have been changed at least once.

I got a little over a half a tank so I figure to hand pump out 5-10 gallons before I begin. It seems pretty straight forward on replacing both the pump and filter.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should be fine with leaving the fuel in the tank. Keep in mind, everything comes out the top of the tanks. Just have a bucket handy, and drop the assembly into the bucket as soon as you pull it out.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05AudiAllroad
Well, after all the horror stories about everything under the sun going wrong with an C5 Audi Allroad... I officially got stranded on the side of the road and had to get it towed. So I got 7 1/2 months without any problems and something like 14,000 miles.

I finally will be replacing my fuel pump, fuel filter, and I even got a 372 relay but I don't think my relay is bad. Since the fuel filter is original equipment, I figure that put a strain on the pump. 130K and the fuel filter should have been changed at least once.

I got a little over a half a tank so I figure to hand pump out 5-10 gallons before I begin. It seems pretty straight forward on replacing both the pump and filter.
Get as much out as you can. The less the better and get some fuel resistant gloves or your hands will wreak of gas.

Most of the horror stories about the AR are from people who don't take care of them with regular maintenance. I bought my 2003 almost 6 years ago and it had 130k on it already. It now has 208k on it and the only real problems have been suspension related. Front control arms and 3 of the 4 airbags replaced. Other than the fuel pump a year ago and the alternator in the near future it has mostly just been normal routine maintenance like brakes, fluids, timing belt, etc. Still running original turbos and DV's, use no oil, and pulls hard and smooth. Just hit her with a full VCDS scan the other day and the only fault in the whole car was the air quality sensor for the HVAC. In short these can be very reliable cars when treated right and taken car of.