Slow air leak from brand new Arnott spring and shock

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 02:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow air leak from brand new Arnott spring and shock

Hi all
I am being drive mad by my 2002 model 2.5 V6 Tdi Allroad
It has consistently been leaking from the front left air spring. It has gen 1 Arnott bags all round

I desperation I it the bullet and fitted a brand new Arnott and a brand new shock thinking that would cure it. I used the new large O ring, new top cap and new bolts that came with the Arnott bag.
It still loses pressure in that spring dropping right down to the bump stop.

I have cut the red air pipe in the car, fitted rand new pipe from there to the spring and fitted a inline valve there so I can isolate the spring from the valve block
With all the bags fully inflated I closed the inline valve. All three other bags stayed full but the front left still leaked all its air out over a six hour period
I am at my wits end with it. I have sprayed bubble liquid all over the sprig and fittings with no leaks showing.

There is plenty of air from the compressor ad the car will inflate all the way up to level 4 when running, it just leaks out of the spring when parked.

Could it be the seal between the spring and the top aluminium cap which holds the upper control arms? If so, does anyone have the part number for a new one of those.

Please help, I am so fed up I feel like scrapping the car at the moment as it just seems to be a money pit.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by julesandtash
Could it be the seal between the spring and the top aluminium cap which holds the upper control arms? If so, does anyone have the part number for a new one of those.
Yes it could be if there is corrosion on the top hat it will prevent the o-ring from sealing fully. Clean this sealing surface with fine sandpaper and/or scotch-brite to remove any corrosion and clean thoroughly. A small amount of grease on this o-ring will also ensure it seats correctly.