Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Small amount of smoke coming from steering column. uh oh...

Old 01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small amount of smoke coming from steering column. uh oh...

I smelled an electrical burning smell a few weeks ago while driving. I immediately pulled over and determined that the source was somewhere in my steering wheel. If I put my nose up to my tip shift buttons on the wheel, I could smell it strongly coming from that hole in the wheel. After a few minutes the smell went away and I drove on off. It didn't happen again.

Well tonight it happened again. Luckily it was dark this time and I was almost home. I pulled in the driveway leaving the car running. I took out my flashlight and turned all interior lights off. I could see a small amount smoke oozing out from the hole where the blinker staulk goes into the steering column housing. It was a very small amount of smoke. I had to sit real still with the flash light in order to see it. Just like the smoke rising after soldering something (yeah, not good). A small amount of smoke but, none-the-less, it was indeed smoke and it smelled like the 'ol electrical burning smell. So, I turned off the car (all the while thinking in my head where my fire extinguisher was in the kitchen for fast action). A few seconds after the car was off, no more smoke. I waited in the car for a few minutes to make sure nothing the allroad was not going down in a blaze of glory. Not more smoke or smell.

So, what caused it? My seat heater/steering wheel heater was NOT on. My cabin heater was on at the time I pulled in the driveway but I shut it off. The RNS-E was on and I had made a call using the steering wheel buttons about 8 minutes prior to pulling in the driveway. I don't think the smoke was caused by using the steering wheel buttons. I had used the tip buttons maybe 10 minutes prior for a few minutes but then slipped back to slush box mode for rest of trip home including the same time as making the phone call.

Aside from taking the steering column apart and pulling out every electrical part for inspection, you guys/gal have any idea what could cause this?

We actually had a little snow here in Charleston, SC the other day. Always cool to see snow on the beach. Hope everyone is having a good 'cold' snap season and doing swell. Stay warm.

TIA

eric
Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dashboard recall ???

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/87697.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/87697.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not the recall at all, but likely a fried stalk..

I would cal AoA for their view. Electrical fire hazards get top treatment for fear of liability.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good find. I went through the TSB's in Bentley but did not find anything.

thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have seen this b4 move your column in and out and see if it happens

There is a bundle of wires under the steering column that bends in the same place from steering wheel adjustment and after awhile they start to crack and short together.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default electrical connector at ignition switch?

I have seen a few burn and melt, usually the wipers or headlights go out
Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ding ding ding... blinkers do not work this a.m.

Also, heater blower and head lights don't work. nothing on the steering wheel works even horn. I'll call AoA this a.m. and see what they say.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may want to emphasize the smoke aspect.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I called AoA and opened a case...

The rep on the phone said this should related to the campaign which I have not done yet regarding re-routing the headlight switch harness. But, I have not found any deep technical information on this recall. This is a different recall than the one where they place protective covering on wires related to same area. I have an appointment with my dealership 8 a.m. Monday for the campaign. Hopefully I am not looking at spending more money on the stalk replacement or other items. Hopefully it is all related.

I wonder if AoA would cover a fire hazard issue even if my car is out of warranty (if repair is required outside the campaign re-routing the wiring)??
Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My steering column smoked two years ago....

entire thing was replaced under warranty. Guess I wasn't the only one.