Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Sudden front end colapse

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden front end colapse

Hi all,
New here, and although this has been covered in various forms I would like to tell my woes to you all. Suspension has been working fine, although compressor has been getting steadily more noisy for the last few months and I was planning to fit a rebuild kit from bagpipingandy on ebay when the weather gets better in spring.. Any way, yesterday I took my wife to work and temp was around -3 degrees. After about a mile suspension started playing up. Lights flashing. Then cleared itself and all good for the rest of the day. This morning, again around -3 degrees, got to the end of my road and front suspension hit the floor both sides. Position 2 lights flashing and flashing on dash. Rear suspension all good. I dropped suspension to position 1 just to see what happens and now the rear wont lift back up, or should I say I cant get the position 2 light to come on to even try to go back up. But the rear is still sitting ok at position 1.

Light on dash now solid and not flashing although I can here pump working. Nothing happening though. I cant believe it's and air leak as both side at the front went at the same time. Or are they both controlled from one air line? Could it be the temperature freezing something? Or the compressor just had enough and given up?

I have also tried to read any fault codes but no fault codes stored.

Thanks in advance. Badger.

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be any number of things
valve block, compressor finally went, leak in the air bag somewhere, or a combination of these
when you scaned for codes, what did you use? a standard obd2 reader wont pull codes from the other modules
Old 02-28-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

Hellooo,

I am using an ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth thing linked to my phone. Has worked spot on with other cars. Maybe not this one? But I have news, after reading many threads quite a few people suggest a little oil down the air pipe in the boot. So I thought nothing to loose and went ahead and did it. After about 10 mins of cycling the pump on and off for a a minute at a time, eventually the light on the dash went out and the car rose up to position 2 I could not believe it So I then went up and down through all 4 positions several times and still all good! The only thing is that it takes 40 plus seconds to go up between positions. So I suspect the pump is not it's best. Well rebuild kit on the way so I will do the pump hopefully Sunday. Fingers crossed it will keep on going until then...
Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kool, at least its on the road again
your bluetooth reader thingy is more of a generic code reader, wont read the codes that the individual modules store, example the suspension module
to read those you need a vagcom cable, a pc, and the correct software
Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

Well this morning it gave me a bit of a scare again. It was minus 4 though and it again the suspension didn't want to raise, but after a 5 mins it was all good again. Can't wait for the rebuild kit to arrive along with some vaguely ok weather! It's snowing and blowing a gale here in Bristol at the mo
Old 03-07-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had similar issue,compressor wont lift the car,I just fitted a new compressor from arnott,overnight shipping.Be warned tho,compressor failure may be because its working overtime to overcome a leak.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well my compressor piston ring kit arrived today. Hopefully fitting it on Sunday fingers crossed. Not sure I have a leak as the car has never sunk for want of better words at any corner. I often leave it for a few days between driving as I cycle to work sometimes. never, touch wood, had a problem. Well we will soon see if the new piston ring works. I will let you know...
Old 04-25-2018, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Guys,
So sorry for late reply. Had a few personal issues and a death in the family. Any way, I took the compressor off and what a nightmare that was. Soooooo much rust and stuck connectors. I have fitted the new piston ring kit and what a difference. It now goes between suspension levels literally twice as fast as before. Although it was a pain in *** to do, I am totally happy with the result. The only issue I have is that the brown air hose connecting to the compressor doesn't feel like its tightening up properly, I have some resistance when tightening but not enough to make me think its a tight fit. I didn't keep tightening as I didn't want to strip the thread. Suspension does not go down overnight etc. Trouble is that the compressor is no so quiet that I can't always hear it running. I might spray some soapy liquid on the connection to check for a leak.

Super rusty

Took a lot scraping to get that corrosion off!

Much better and no obvious damage to the bore