Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Surprise! Another C5 Allroad air suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surprise! Another C5 Allroad air suspension question

G'day!

Long-time lurker on this forum, has saved me many times! I've got a 2002 C5 Allroad with an all-too-typical air suspension issue, but I can't quite work it out - hoping somebody may be able to help me out.

If I leave my air suspension on Level 1, it will deflate slowly at the front, which suggests leaky bags to me. Also, getting from Level 1 to Level 2 takes forever, and sometimes the warning light will come on before it gets there. I can speed up the process by parking on a hill, thereby taking weight off the front struts. However, once it's on Level 2, it will maintain that level for weeks no problem. Why does it leak at Level 1, but perfectly fine at Level 2?

I also can't get it into Level 3 or 4 at all, will just get a warning light after failing to rise for 5 mins.

What gives? Do you reckon it's a failing compressor (it's not noticeably loud) / leaky bag or combination of both? I'm assuming that either way, it's going to cost me a fortune haha.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 06-04-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your front bags are leaking. They tend to leak at the fold where the rubber rolls over. That's why it doesn't leak as much at a higher level.

As for the compressor, you'll want to get Andy's rebuild kit, or new unit.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrKid
Your front bags are leaking. They tend to leak at the fold where the rubber rolls over. That's why it doesn't leak as much at a higher level.

As for the compressor, you'll want to get Andy's rebuild kit, or new unit.
I too have had this issue and yes your front bags are leaking which will over time cause the compressor to work much harder than it should and may overheat it or blow the suspension fuse. I used Andy’s kit which definitely helped and was super easy to install even in the -20 weather we were experiencing and the low price was a great value. After some time I realized that I needed a new compressor and the performance now is great.