AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Suspension compressor change? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/suspension-compressor-change-2826950/)

paulouk 05-17-2012 01:33 AM

Suspension compressor change?

Have to change my suspension compressor and valve block soon on my 2000 Allroad, so I am looking for articles, how to, instructions, advice on the best method.

I have the one from Arnott's site, thank but want to get as much info as poss.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

all(over)road 05-17-2012 05:37 AM

Arnott's instructions are really all you need...it's pretty easy (if you have a lift). No special tools or anything like that.

Do-able on your back w/o a lift too tho itsa more of a PITA.

P4Ring 05-17-2012 10:07 AM

Compressor/Valve block

1. Put car in jack-mode.
2. Lift rear and support with jack stands.
3. Place two more jack stands at the front for safety (no need to lift front)
4. Look forward of the spear wheel well, you will see a shield plate mounted on with three 10mm nuts. REMOVE THEM WITH 10mm deep socket.
5. Remove the shield plate. (Compressor will now be visible)
6. Get a wire hanger or similar and tie it around the compressor or part of it through the LH side mounting hole.
7. Use the same 10mm socket and remove three 10mm nuts that mount the compressor to the body. Remove the LH side one first and loop the wire through the mount hole and isolator. Be careful, the mounting bolts have springs on them which will fall down when removing. The washer that fall down goes to the top of the rubber isolators, you will have to use tape or similar to keep them up there before assembly.
8. Bring compressor down and hang with wire.
9. Using a 10mm (Spanner/Open end wrench) Disconnect 1 air line from the compressor (black color line from valve block) facing LH side of car... prepare for air to leak out.
10. Disconnect wire from N111 same side.
11. Disconnect silencer hose from right side of compressor.
12. Disconnect or cut the power cord from old compressor. (all depends on who you buy your new unit from, if you cut leave about 2.5 inches on compressor in case you can salvage the old one).
13. Remove compressor.
14. The valve block is the block with the color coded air line going into it. The rest is self explanatory.
15. If you do remove any of the pressure fit connectors, pay close attention to how much line goes beyond the compression ring. Once fastened, moving it will take great care cause they will snap in two, be gently and patient.

GTA_Driver 05-17-2012 01:47 PM

Thanks for the detailed write up

I don't have to do mine (yet) but your step-by-step guide is now bookmarked.

paulouk 05-17-2012 03:25 PM

Many thanks Jimbo and to P4Ring for your step by step instructions. Will be great help when I come to do the job in a few days.

I dont have a lift so will be working under on my back (with dust in my eyes no doubt)

12vWhat 05-19-2012 01:38 PM

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...eer+suspension

This has a couple of tips and watch-out-fors.

I liked sketch44's washer holding method a lot. Wish I would of thought of that, but the RTV worked just fine.

paulouk 05-20-2012 03:25 AM

Thanks 12vWhat for interesting repair job. Nice to see there are still people around with ingenuity.

Re holding washers up, think I'll try your RTV method. (dont know RTV in UK but think you refer to apoxy resin?)

paulouk 05-20-2012 03:17 PM

Since the rear suspension is right down I need to use a trolley jack to raise it so that i can get to the compressor. Is it safe to jack under the differential? (Will also use axal stands once I get it up for safey)

12vWhat 05-20-2012 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by paulouk (Post 24302116)
Since the rear suspension is right down I need to use a trolley jack to raise it so that i can get to the compressor. Is it safe to jack under the differential? (Will also use axal stands once I get it up for safey)

Yes. That's fine, but make sure to take care when positioning the cradle/cup of the jack on the diff. You don't want to have one of the "teeth" of the cradle on a non-reinforced portion of the diff cast. You'll see what I'm saying when you go to position the jack. Also, RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing. It's the old make-a-gasket stuff. I still think that Sketch44 had the right idea. Just get a file folder or similar paper stock and once you put the washer on the stud, push a piece of that paper stock onto the stud, thus preventing the washer from falling off. Like a spindle that a waiter or kitchen would use to 'stab tickets'. My way worked, but not before the washers had fallen off a couple of times and left blue RTV in my beard!

paulouk 05-21-2012 01:08 AM

Thanks. Yes will be careful where I put jack cradle under diff and will try the paper/card tip as it seems simple and effective way to hold washers in place.