Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Suspension,front releveling at red light stops?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension,front releveling at red light stops?

My AR keeps releveling in the front after full stop for a red light or anything like that after traveling at 30-35 mph.

And I still can't understand why is the car rocking a lot over small holes in turns or even in a straight line at like 40 -55 mph and over.I have like 58k miles and I got it at 52K. I am just starting to drive it every day on short trips and I am just realizing a lot about the car dinamics. But if everything is fine with my suspension I don't think I am going to be a big fan of the air ride.

I miss the V1 on my GLI...

If Anyone has this type of issues please let me know if its normal or I am just overthinking it!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Suspension,front releveling at red light stops?

Normal part of a self-leveling air suspension. As you brake for a stop, the front of any car dips, the ar suspension tries to keep the car level, which you probably don't notice because there are other things you're focused on while the cars still moving. But once it's stopped, and you've got nothing better to do, you notice the car compensating for the its new position.
As for the "rocking", that's not so much an air suspension issue, more like a heavy car issue, and the reason many of us have replaced the stock swaybars with H sports.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Might also play with tire pressure to reduce 'hopping' feeling.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So did you test drive the allraod b4 you bought it?

Its a very heavy sled. But better tires than stock, H-sports sway bars, and 402 lowering of the suspension all help this out immensly.

In short term keep it on level 1.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:44 AM

I asked same question ~year ago. Normal/you get used to it.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Suspension,front releveling at red light stops?

does this happen at all level settings?
I have mine set to L1, I thought it should stay there and not do any further levelling - although I have felt the car moving down at stops. is it my imagination?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It doesn't lower or go up, it levels--adjusts itself to what it thinks should be level.

It should only move "up" or "down" in the front or back not the entire car (as it would if you changed levels). The sensation is that is it going up or down because the front is doing that but hopefully the other end is staying at the same level.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 AM

Default is there somewhere

I can read about this levelling feature. or can you explain further why and when it needs to do this. From what I understand this is slightly different than the Level settings - which moves the whole car up or down; at stops, you are saying only the front moves down (or up). under what conditions would this happen?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The system, as I understand it (search 402 mod for more info)

so we have 4 airbags, one on each wheel. Each one goes up or down to maintain the proper level setting (1,2,3,or 4). Let's say level 1 is 24 inches (for us non metric folks). All the bags adjust so that each wheel (fender) is 24 inches high. If level 2 is 25 inches they would each adjust one inch up.

But that's not what we are talking about at the stop light exactly. (assume level 1) The car has been bouncing around and when you stop it settles down and checks to see how each bag has been doing to maintain the proper level via the sensor on each wheel (stut?). Front seems to be a touch low compared to the back due to "nose dive" from braking? It adjusts the front so once again all 4 wheels (fenders) are 24 inches high. What you see is the front of the car rise up. You aren't changing "levels" as you would when changing from level 1 to 2 with the dash button.

One of the great benefits of this is the self leveling works when you go to Home Depot and fill the back with landscape bricks. The system will add air to the rear air bags until the car is level once again.

Hope this helps. I may be wrong on some of the details but that is how I understand it.

The 402 mod is when you use a VAG tool to lie to the adjustment system and tell it level 1 should be "23 inches" not the "24 inches" the factory sets. It will now set level 1 an inch lower. And level 2 will now also be an inch lower than the factory setting as will 3 and 4.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its highly abnormal. Do the headlights ever move on start-up?

If so then your car has the ride-height/headlight dysmetria syndrome. You should sell it asap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension,front releveling at red light stops?