AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Suspension when below 0C/32F (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/suspension-when-below-0c-32f-2818677/)

rhskcdn 12-17-2011 07:35 AM

Suspension when below 0C/32F

It seems that whenever the temperature drops, my suspension level locks up. Can't go up or down and the dash idiot light illuminates. So far, I've not been able to read any codes as by the time I get the car home in the driveway, the suspension starts working. I'm wondering if this is a solonoid freezing up or if I have water somewhere in an air line.

Mr. Timewise 12-20-2011 10:59 AM

Could be water somewhere.

I had a one time situation on a 400 mile drive that might be similar. I was driving in L1 (lowest level) about 200 miles into the drive on the interstate, when the temperature outside went from about 45F to 29F. The dash warning light illuminated and I think the L1 green LED started blinking on the level control panel.

I tried a few things but nothing worked to stop the blinking/warning light. So, I slowed to a stop, turned the car off, and restarted. The lights went back to normal. So I raised to level 2 and went on my way. The problem has not re-surfaced in two months.

05allroad 12-20-2011 12:34 PM

Recently had a similar issue and replacing the compressor resolved it. I don't know for sure but I suspect the compressor wasn't strong enough to deal with the dense, cold air.

Mr. Timewise 12-20-2011 12:55 PM

I installed a new compressor last spring. In my case, I'm rather certain the cause is something else. Until it starts to recur, I'm writing it off as a fluke.

rhskcdn 12-20-2011 07:48 PM

I also have a new compressor (raises the car very quickly compared to the old one) so I don't think that is the issue here. I'm still guessing that it is water.

rfarmery 12-24-2011 07:06 AM

Do these compressors have a built in dryer? It is very normal for condensation to build up when you compress air, i would think it's down to a build up of condensation locking up a solenoid...

Mr. Timewise 12-24-2011 07:51 PM

Yes, there is an air dryer built into the compressor assembly. The air dryer system is one reason you must not add oil to the air intake as the oil will prevent the air dryer chemicals from functioning correctly.

rhskcdn 01-22-2012 11:20 AM

Just returned home after a month in the southern hemisphere and I'm still having this problem. The current temperature is -2C and the only fault I'm getting reads:

Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 907 553B
Component and/or Version: - 2C1A1 X031

1 Fault Found:
01400 - Suspension Level Control
08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

After clearing it, the fault returns:

1 Fault Found:
01400 - Suspension Level Control
08-00 - Control Limit Surpassed

The idiot dash light is illuminated and the down suspension LED is green. The height is stuck at level 4 and all height LEDs (3 green and one amber) are illuminated.

The temperature tomorrow is supposed to exceed 2 deg. C so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Has anyone tried a squirt of methanol/methyl hydrate (the main component in air brake antifreeze) in the suspension air tank?

rhskcdn 01-22-2012 11:25 AM

Also found this thread which describes a similar problem. Will investigate the compressor tomorrow.

rhskcdn 01-23-2012 09:11 AM

+5 deg C this morning and the suspension is working again. Clearly, I have water trapped somewhere in a line.

Yes, there is an air dryer built into the compressor assembly. The air dryer system is one reason you must not add oil to the air intake as the oil will prevent the air dryer chemicals from functioning correctly.
Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to rid the system of water? It is a relatively new Arnott compressor (swapped by the previous owner).