Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

SUV's SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUV's SUCK

and we as a car buying nation need to get over it. The T-reg/cayenne are excellent feets of engineering prowess but they are still 5500 lb station wagons from the 1960's (with less interior room) whose dynamic capabilities have been beefed up by four decades of engineering and electronic progress. That's Great. Fuel economy is still stuck in the 1960's and that's what will continue to thrust us into the geo-political tailspin we've been experiencing.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I mostly worry about their bumers/traler hitches/brush guards aiming above my bumpers.

otherwise who cares: acording to Times magasine car are still safer then SUVs so at some point Darwin's theory will kill all of them.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ditto! ditto! Ditto!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:22 AM

It's too bad more people don't see the advantages of an AWD wagon :-(
Old 02-21-2003, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used to use the Fuel Economy argument against SUV drivers... before getting into the allroad...

Now, I'm guilty of that excess too. (But I'd be willing to pay a penalty for it!)
Old 02-21-2003, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Our fuel economy is mediocre, but SUVs are getting even worse

Caddilac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, Toyota/Lexus Land Cruiser twins, M-B ML500/55, G500/G55, Ford Explorer, Durango, HummerII...We need these. (why, again?) The list is unending and our little 4200 lb car is more fuel efficient. Here's my biggest issue with these vehicles: They are produced at very high profit, the auto manufacturers view them as necessary to remain financially solvent, and we *******s keep buying them. They trash the environment in more ways than one, they sacrifice other drivers' safety while enhancing (perhaps) their own occupants. They are the ultimate "**** everyone else" Me-mobiles and 99.9% of their owners Never use them for what they were actually made for. Other than that they are really pretty reasonable.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To carry your argument to fruition, we should be driving A6 3.0 Avants, or better, Passat Wagons...

They'd provide 90% the the allroad's utility, while providing noticably better fuel economy.

However, we chose more luxury, more power, etc, over less fuel consumption. Others choose more capacity and bulk, over lower fuel consumption. The choice is there for all of us to make... but there shouldn't be an exemption from penalty, just because our vehicles are classified by the EPA as SUVs - which the allroad is.

Only <b>larger</b> SUVs, or cars with larger engines get worse fuel economy than our car. The list of vehicles that we can stand proud against is ugly...<ul><li><a href="http://www.trinbagoauto.com/epa_greenvehicle_suvs.asp">SUV fuel economies</a></li></ul>
Old 02-21-2003, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Blame CAFE loopholes.

This is a classic example of supply creating demand. Bcs of a loophole that classifies SUVs as trucks and the lax requirements on them, manufacturers have pushed this whole image on the public who have bought into it faster than you can say Joe Millionaire.

Fix the laws and you'll fix the issue.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nothing wrong with SUV's - it's your attitude that is the problem...

1. there's nothing wrong with high profit. High profit is good.

2. This is america. We are allowed to have freedom of choice. Apparently the uberliberals/fascists are opposed to this basic precept.

3. If you hit me with your POS Hyundai and it folds up against my SUV, that's your damm problem. I want MY vehicle to be as as safe as possible, and SUV's have low insurance rates because they are indeed safe.

4. No, they are not the ultimate "**** everyone else" vehicles. I don't know anybody who buys one for that purpose. It would seem it's your attitude that causes you to perceive them in that manner.

5. SUV's use no more gas than any number of high performance hot rods, sports cars, and high performance sedans. There's more than a few BMW's, Porsches, MBZ's, Lamborghini's, Ferraris, etc., that get in the low teens to high single digits in terms of gas mileage.

Finally, some people simply need suvs. If you have a large family and/or you haul stuff, it's actually more fuel efficient to use one vehicle rather than drive two or more to transport them. A friend of mine has 3 kids, a wife, and 2 inlaws. They drive now drive a Suburban now, while before, they had to take two cars anytime they went anywhere.

This is America. We have freedom of choice. Please stop being anti-American and trying to take that choice away.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Screw SUV's and get a Eurovan!!!

Better handling, MPG and way more room than a Suburban!!! Oh but we have been brain washed into thinking that Vans are family vechicles and not as cool as SUV's!!! American marketing at is best!
Brain dead people in the US rule!
Ciao

Quick Reply: SUV's SUCK