Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Tailgate won't open

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tailgate won't open

I need some help here. Just washed my car and now my tailgate won't open. If I hit the remote I can hear the electric lock unlock. If I grab the handle I can see the light inside the gate area coming on but the gate won't open. If I use the key, I get the same response. Has anyone here run into this problem before. My car is 04.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tailgate won't open

Try opening it from the inside
Old 05-04-2008, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Tailgate won't open

You are not talking about pressing the buttom by the driver's door are you? If not, how can I open the gate from inside. Is there a mechanical cable hidden somewhere inside that I can use?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Broken latch. It broke on mine. $400 dealer visit.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Default There is a stupid small plastic piece inside the latch mechanism that breaks and

the whole thing has to be replaced, or at least that is what my dealer told me...it was under warranty at the time so no reason to fib....now here is the bigger deal, make sure if you have someone fix it that they don't break ALL the plastic tabs that hold the fascia part of the back hatch in place as mine did...that was the bigger fix as it required replacing the entire panel (again it was their nickle but it took three trips in to get it right)...good luck and be glad it didn't not open for you on a 30 degree below zero day at Walmart when you had bags in your hand
Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: I do hope my extended warranty covers this item!. Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

try to open the tailgate then take off the plastic inside cover, look for the little arm that operates the lock trigger and pull it up. adjust the nut arm. you will need a small flashlight and pliers.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone been able to fix this issue without getting a new latch from the dealer? I got the trim panel off and have noticed at least one broken piece in the latch but it does not seem to have any link to the issue of the hatch not opening. The fact is when I actuate the hatch handle on the outside of the car, it seems not to be linked to any mechanism of the latch. I'm having the same issues as the original poster.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate Won't Open

Hello,

Same problem with the tailgate... it won't open. Have tried unlocking with key and the fob and the lock switches inside the car. With each method of unlocking you can hear the lock inside the tailgate activating. But there is resistance felt when trying in the handle when pressing to open the tailgate. When the tailgate is locked there is no resistance felt when pressing the handle, which is normal. To access the tailgate locking mechanism the inner tailgate panel needs to be removed.

However, how does one do this when the tailgate will not open? Has anyone had this happen and how do you fix this?
Old 05-23-2020, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had issues with AR tailgates when they weren't sufficiently locked. Pushing DOWN on them and hitting the button in the driver door jamb has gotten the gate opened.

Quick Reply: Tailgate won't open